• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake modification/simplification?

BrettM

NAXJA Forum User
I need to redo a lot of my brakes, I'm going to upgrade to the 96 booster and MC, and I was going to use an XJ proportioning/combo valve, but is that really needed?

Here's the normal XJ setup:

Would there be anything wrong with just doing it like this?:

Functionally, that's a nearly ideal setup.

The only potentuial problem is that without the OEM combination valve, you won't have a brake system failure warning light. The light in the dash will continue to function for the parking brake, but won't signal a loss of front or rear brakes. Personally, I can tell when one circuit blows -- don't need the stupid light to tell me.

But ... I don't know if there are any laws prohibiting removal. My suggestion would be to keep the combo valve so you can reinstall it if you ever sell the vehicle. Or, leave the stock combo valve in place, plug the outlet on the bottom that feeds the rear brakes, and run the rear line from the "nose" of the combo valve to the Wilwood proportioning valve. You'll have the same functionality, but you'll still have a warning light.

Eagle said:
Functionally, that's a nearly ideal setup.

The only potentuial problem is that without the OEM combination valve, you won't have a brake system failure warning light. The light in the dash will continue to function for the parking brake, but won't signal a loss of front or rear brakes. Personally, I can tell when one circuit blows -- don't need the stupid light to tell me.

But ... I don't know if there are any laws prohibiting removal. My suggestion would be to keep the combo valve so you can reinstall it if you ever sell the vehicle. Or, leave the stock combo valve in place, plug the outlet on the bottom that feeds the rear brakes, and run the rear line from the "nose" of the combo valve to the Wilwood proportioning valve. You'll have the same functionality, but you'll still have a warning light.
good to hear!

I could care less about the light, it's pretty easy to tell when you loose your brakes! There are no laws or inspections here prohibiting removal, and my truck will never get sold; it's simply worth more to me than it ever would be to anyone else.

thats how im set up brett, actually i set it up with out the prop valve, my rears dont lock up, so i left it, i used all 3/16 line though, where factory for the rear (1/2 ton 44 brakes) was 1/4"

tealcherokee said:
thats how im set up brett, actually i set it up with out the prop valve, my rears dont lock up, so i left it, i used all 3/16 line though, where factory for the rear (1/2 ton 44 brakes) was 1/4"
Not on any of the 44s I have here (XJ or MJ)

Back