• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

distributor ticking

Xtreme Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I looked under my hood today and I heard this ticking noise. At first i thought it was my ac compressor, but wasnt it. I began searching again to find out it was my distributor. It will click loudly at idle, but off idle it quickly goes away. What does this mean? If it is fine but makes noises, I can live with it, but if its bad i need to know...thanks

Hey i hear the same problem in my o1 xj. its the second xj i heard do it. mine has 32,000 miles on it. its kind of weird. but mine doesnt come from the distributor it comes from the well near the firewarll near the condensor. its a little plug thing and it pulses with the motor and it kind of revs up when you rev the motor, occasionally. sometimes it goes away sometimes it does not. i heard it a lot louder last night maybe because it was cold. it sounds like a valve-tap but its not coming from the valve cover, its coming from that piece. if anyone knows what it is, i'd be interested too.

Xtreme Jeeper said:
I looked under my hood today and I heard this ticking noise. At first i thought it was my ac compressor, but wasnt it. I began searching again to find out it was my distributor. It will click loudly at idle, but off idle it quickly goes away. What does this mean? If it is fine but makes noises, I can live with it, but if its bad i need to know...thanks
If you have a noticeable miss at idle it could be the high voltage grounding someplace, it will make a crack crack crack sound. Push sideway on the rotor shaft, it really shouldn't move at all. Check the high voltage lugs inside your cap and see if you can see any scuff marks where the rotor is hitting. And also check for carbon arching, the high voltage will sometimes take another path inside the distributor cap which leaves a black line, usually when a spark plug cable has way to much resistance or the gap in a plug is way to much.

leftyatm said:
Hey i hear the same problem in my o1 xj. its the second xj i heard do it. mine has 32,000 miles on it. its kind of weird. but mine doesnt come from the distributor it comes from the well near the firewarll near the condensor. its a little plug thing and it pulses with the motor and it kind of revs up when you rev the motor, occasionally. sometimes it goes away sometimes it does not. i heard it a lot louder last night maybe because it was cold. it sounds like a valve-tap but its not coming from the valve cover, its coming from that piece. if anyone knows what it is, i'd be interested too.

Mine does this too...same spot.

My 93 sounds a bit like a diesel, it's due to piston slap. About a year ago I found the info in this forum. Apparently its one of those typical Straight -Six sounds. I have about 195,000mi. on mine and it's still a stump-chunker. Good Luck

Back