• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should i buy ? im confused!!!

rockcrawler873

NAXJA Forum User
Hey hows it goin? Ive got a few questions and i really need some help!!! OK Im currently looking at a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L V6 it has a 6 inch lift and 31x10.50 (If i purchase i will put on 33s or 35s not sure yet) This jeep has an 8.25 in the rear and a 29" spline exterior is PERFECT along with interior. My question is should i purchase this jeep i know that ther is prob more that will be needed to know but it will be my DD through college and then after i hope to get a tow rig and turn the jeep into a TOY but until then it will be off road a lot but still be the DD if anyone thinks this will be ok please let me know the price is 5500. I would really like to purchase this jeep and it will savce me a lot of money in the long run so if there are any comment or advise please let me know Thanx
---Chris

Its funny, every time I see a 99 year model anything with that kind of price I think..."thats so dang new!" at work (I work in auto parts) I see cars that are 99 or 2000 and constantly ask people "its fresh off the lot how come it needs work?" Then I realize my Cherokee was actually newer than this 99 when I bought it. I can't believe were already about 6 years into the decade...

What condition is the motor in? These straight 6 (much better design I think) not V engines are known to last if cared for.

I would be hesitant to buy an XJ with a 6" lift for daily driver unless its been set up right with the additional safety & comfort mods (slip yoke eliminator, longer brake lines, gears, etc.)

hey i apologize lol about the V6 sry lol it has 104444 miles and it does have a new SYE and drives shaft and longer brake lines it has stock gears bc he is only riding on 31s right now.

thats not really bad for miles on the I6, IF, it has been maintained properlly. For sure check the suspension to make sure it is quallity stuff and propperlly installed. If youre on a pretty tight budget because you are in college you need to really think about this purchase. You say you will be offroad alot. this can be quite the pricey hobby. And dont count on good gas mileage. Just my lil 2 cents.

I've got a 92 with the six in it, and, i've got 170K miles on the ticker, without a rebuild, and, she's still running strong. A little oil blow by, but not much. Only thing i've done to it, besides basic maintance, is, replace all the seals on the engine, $400.

Anyways, the price doesn't sound too bad. But, as to it being a college kids daily driver, i'm not so sure. If you're on a budget, and, do much driving, be cautious. My xj is on 33's with stock gearing, and i, on average, get around 10-11 mpg. Also, as previously stated, if it'll be offroad alot, you better plan on things breaking. Just my $.02 there. Hope it helps

Tylor

Thats not a bad deal, as long as(like everyone else said) the engine has been cared for and you know that stuff WILL break when you off road. Considering I got my 98 sport with 98k miles, 4.0, 4x4 with 4.5" lift and 31's along with a bunch of other little goodies for $7200, I'd say go for it. But then again, I am in southern CA, everything cost more here. :mad:

the lift consistes of rustys springs frond and rear RE control arms skyjacker shocks 8100s and 7100s an A/A SYE and Tom Woods Driveshaft extended brake lines im sorry im not sure what u mean but tranny i know its transmission but im not sure what type i will find out though thanx you all for the advise and i approctate it (when i mention off road a lot i mean like everynow and then b/c i am on a budget i just want this ride to be smooth on and off road i drove it and driving it felt a lot better than my 1986 jeep cherokee pioneer :p ( i love that thing) but i havent riden in it yet so i guess i should check that out to . if there is anything else i should maybe check please let me know and im about to get an engine compression test and a diagonisis test for the engine !!

Go drive it on the interstate, and be sure to hit a few of those bridge joints... If it starts shacking violently, tell the guy you'll give him $3500 bucks, and go buy yourself some drop brackets...

My point is, that you should drive it at varrious speeds to see if it has Death Wobble (DW). 6"es of lift with short arms is where it will show up. Many people that put a lift on and experience DW one time, will sell the Jeep.

That sounds like a good deal. You'll want to trim the fenders. Minor trim for 33's major for 35's (that's with a 10" rim). Get a mechanic to look it over really well. A lift usually means someones taken it off road. So, check the differentials for water, air filter box for any signs of water or mud that's gotten in etc.

The last thing I would do before buying is to drive behind the jeep to make sure it's tracking straight down the road. Any tweaks in the unibody from accidents, can cause the Jeep to do the crab walk. The rear doesn't track the front.

i have a 91 xj with 4.5" and 1.5" spacers and shackles and i have 31's stock gears(want to get 33's). i still have short arms with stock upper arms(sucks cause it pulls axle back too far). i have 175,000 miles. but thats a hella good deal for 6" lift on a 99 but does it have long arm or short arms? so i have heard that a dropped pitman arm will reduce death wobble is this tru because i have a crapload of it. but then i also was reading in 4 wheel mag that messing with the dropped pitman arm screws up the drag link and places the tie rod at a different angle or some crao like that they had a huge article on all the different types of steering. anyone that has a dropped pitman arm does it effect you or not?

rockcrawler873 said:
I would really like to purchase this jeep and it will savce me a lot of money in the long run so if there are any comment or advise please let me know Thanx
---Chris

You may come to find real quick that this will not be the case. :repair: You will always find something to do to it that would be better or if you are going to will it, expect to repair it.

For $5500, if it all checks out, it sounds like a fair deal.

Hey first id like tosay Happy Thanksgiving! and i truley appriciate EVERYONES help this is reall helping me to answer a few ?s
----SHOMSKY462..................but does it have long arm or short arms?
yes it is short arm but...
here is my question would it maybe ride better if i got long arms or adjustable arms?
----XJADDICATION.......
The last thing I would do before buying is to drive behind the jeep to make sure it's tracking straight down the road. Any tweaks in the unibody from accidents, can cause the Jeep to do the crab walk. The rear doesn't track the front.
( im new at this so im not really sure what to look for if maybe you could explain again sry)

---Go drive it on the interstate, and be sure to hit a few of those bridge joints... If it starts shacking violently, tell the guy you'll give him $3500 bucks, and go buy yourself some drop brackets...
(what are Drop Brackets) sry i know its prob a stupid ? but once again im learnin

thank you to all who have helped and once again HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!

I can't speak to everything everyone has mentioned, but I do know what he means about riding behind it. If a car is in a wreck, often times the frame will get twisted. If it's not straightened out (and probably lots of times when it is), it will drive crooked. Meaning, it will go straight down the road, but the Jeep will be sitting sideways. If you ride behind it, it is easy to notice this.

so i just need to get him to dirve it and if its kinda saggin left or right that not good correct? he said it hasnt been in a wreck though so do i still need to check that out?

Back