• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My truck is really acting up...HELP PLZ

Cherokeelaredo

NAXJA Forum User
Well my truck isn't running right. The RPM is low and erratic, and bouncy. I adjusted it, and now sometimes it works fine(900 rpm), others its just about to stall(100-300 rpm). I am also noticing that, sometimes the accelerator response is delayed, it is a little difficult to explain, but you give it some gas, and it barely starts to move, it hits about 2200rpm, and then starts accelerating properly. That only happens from a get go start. It's got me stumped.I had the head replaced, a head gasket done, and it was running sorta ok, but now its becoming worst and worst. You might even say that it is mostly like this when the weather is colder.

I tried searching, but didn't come upw ith much, since its a compilation of problems..
It is a 1989 XJ 4.0L, and the head was from a HO.

First off, bumping your thread will get it deleted. Do a search on idle problems. Low idle is normally caused by the IAC either being bad or the housing being clogged. High idle is caused by a vacuum leak. An erratic vacuum leak can confuse the computer and make it idle low for a while until it compensates.

Why would my thread get deleted if it is bumped? I have been using forums for many different things, and this is the first I have heard of that.
I did do a search on idle problems, and i got, aic, tp, etc etc. That doesn't really specify the problem.
Thank you for the on topic response. Where should I look for a vacuum leak.
Where is the AIC located? I looked in my chilton, but couldn't find it.

Easy Tiger. Not to sound like a snob but this forum is very different than the others I've checked out. You waited 3 hours and then bumped your thread. These guys do work and have families. There is a wealth of info. here, give it time.

That said...it's IAC (Idle Air Control) not AIC. Look it up, I know it's in the Haynes and that book sucks. It's gotta be in the Chilton. Probably wont be a ton of info. on it. I can't recall if there is a test for that part. I don't think so. I do know there is a test for TPS (throttle position sensor) and MAP (manifold absolute pressure). Start with the basics...I know it sounds dumb but check the battery for good charge and grounds. I just battled similar gremlins and after I spent days testing expensive parts, it turned out to be something really dumb that one of the scholars on here originally suggested and I kind of disregarded it. You will get more help here if you take advantage of the archived threads. Grab a cup of coffee and start reading. Search for threads involving those stupid sensors and try and find similarities and then test that component.
IMO The idle adjustment is probably not something that's going to change on it's own. Something is fukt and now the computer is trying to compensate for it and your seeing the problem in the idle.

tpsiac.jpg
Hers is a pix

Ok, well since, I wasn't getting much help, I started doing the trial and error method, and It seems that the problem has been sagnificantly improved. I replaced the coil, and the IAC, and cleaned my throttle body.

Back