• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power steering cap blown off

cal

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
This weekend at JV i lost my power steering pump cap. Goatman was kind enough to give me a spare off of his spare pump to get home with, but when I was looking the jeep over yesterday, I discovered the cap was loose again. I tightened it down good and solid, drove forty miles or so, and it was loose again.

Could something be causing pressure build up in the pump and blowing the cap off? I have been searching but not finding.. :)

-Cal

Thanks Cal I thought it was just me. Someone needs to come up with a legit answer for this problem, I was blaming myself for not puting the cap on when I lost it on the way to Moab.

Getting too hot? I say that because my cap popped off once on a very hot day (my engine overheated too). I put in a new tranny cooler and converted the stock one to a power steering cooler and my cap never came off again.

Mine blew off a while back' too. I thought, what the hell? I guess it is a prob that no one has really thought about until it was brought up. I was't having any issues when I lost mine so, I don't even know where to start to find the prob. I am just glad that I am not the only one and maybe I should get a spare, along with everything else.

What made me think to ask the group, is the fact that when it happened, several people at the event told me how they plugged the hole when -their- cap came off. I wouldnt have given it a second thought, except that in the 110 miles it took to get home, it came loose again.

Maybe drill a tiny hole in the top. I dont know if a PS system is pressurized at the resivoir, but if its not suppsed to be, then a tiny hole will let it vent, and keep the pressure from poping it off. Just a thought...

I had this trouble with my wife's 89 - I ended up rivetting a couple of those velrco wire-tie straps as an "auxilary" cap retainer. Lasted until I changed the pump for (unrelated?) leaks a couple years later...

I never did find out why I kept popping caps - when I did the pump, I did the pump, box, and hoses - so there wasn't enough left to troubleshoot later. Still, the velcro straps did work, and I haven't had any trouble since changing everything, either.

5-90

[font=&quot]My cap has a little hole in it with a check valve (air will only go out not in). The only time I have ever had mine come of was after the dopes at jiffy lube messed with it.[/font]

Back