• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Silly question, but what does IAC stand for

bajacalal said:
It doesn't really open the butterfly though (although some carb applications had a system like this) it pushes a metal cone (plunger) into a mated seat (hole) regulating the flow of air (controlling idle speed).

X2

Since we are talking about abreviations, what about IIRC? I think thats what I keep seeing.

You can unplug it to check, it should settle the idle. (But it won't adjust for cold start and so on.)

If I'm not mistaken, at least for the Renix computers, when you unplug IAC when engine if off, then start engine, IAC will not respoond to ECM's comand to open then ramp down (idle raises then lowers quickly). If the engine is in good shape, it should start OK and just idle low, depending on what the stop screw it adjusted to. Mine does at least. Maybe the post-90 4.0s are a bit different. I had a wierd idle issue that took me two years to figure out- turned out to be a throtlebody issue. I doubt its a common thing.

ajpulley said:
If I'm not mistaken, at least for the Renix computers, when you unplug IAC when engine if off, then start engine, IAC will not respoond to ECM's comand to open then ramp down (idle raises then lowers quickly). If the engine is in good shape, it should start OK and just idle low, depending on what the stop screw it adjusted to. Mine does at least. Maybe the post-90 4.0s are a bit different. I had a wierd idle issue that took me two years to figure out- turned out to be a throtlebody issue. I doubt its a common thing.

Can you please specify,I am experiencing some idle issues on my 89 4.0.
Low, erratic, etc.
thanks.

Welcome to the club,I'm having issues with my 89 also.I found a crack in my exhaust manifold and I'll be putting a new one on to see if it helps...but I'll also be replacing all the sensors also just to make sure.

Cherokeelaredo said:
Can you please specify,I am experiencing some idle issues on my 89 4.0.
Low, erratic, etc.
thanks.
Yup, maybe it might help you, or someone. I had a real weird idle issue that I finally figured it was more pronounced when engine was warm, and after cleaning the intake (usually once a year). I would check everything, and assumed it to be the IAC motor. Guess what...

It was the throtle plate inside the TB. When the engine was warm (hot really) the TB would expand just enough to cause the plate to hang up, but only the smallest bit so I could never feel it in the pedel, and it was speratic at that. So, I loosened the two screws that hold it in place and carefully adjusted it to sit perfectly in the bored opening. No more idle issues. I also have backed the stop screw about 1/2 to 1/3 of a turn. Idle is now about 700-725 (600 without the IAC hooked up for testing).

Re: disconnect, warm it up and wait till it happens to be idleing at a reasonable speed then disconnect and it should stay there. If you do that it will need manual help from your right foot to get started and idle when cold. If the idle is still erratic with it disconnected then you have some other problem. BTW check your codes first.

Back