• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolest tail lights in the World...might be a bit biased

kelly klassen

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm wheeling in the woods and somehow end up slashing a tire, but that's a different story. I also happened to bust out a tail light. Knowing what my local dealership is like, I didn't even bother going for a price, but got to work designing my own variant of the steel/LED version. I've seen a few varieties, but haven't been too thrilled with the overall look. I used a 3x5 stop/Park light, and a 2.5" yellow 13 LED light for the turn signal. The back ups are cheepo projector fogs running off the regular back-up light circuit. I do have plans to wire a relay to be able to switch them on manually as well. Construction of the boxes started with 1/8" plate for the main back plate that the bolts go through, then 1/16" for the rest. I used some 1/4" keystock to beef up the edges. So there's about $200 in materials, and 5 times that in my labor, but it was worth it. I'm really happy with the results. Another coat of paint that actually matches and they'll be perfect, but again I might be biased. Enough blab, on with the pics!

Picture%20008.jpg

Picture%20002.jpg

Picture%20003.jpg

Sorry if the pics don't work, I was having a little troube earlier.

-kelly

I like em, there definetly diffrent and look hot!

Thanks! Believe it or not, I just grabbed a piece of 1.5" or 1.25" ABS (can't remember which) and rolled it cold by hand around that until it matched the curve of the tailgate. Came out just about perfect. The sides I just flexed by hand to get it to follow the body contours. The 1/16"x4" piece that I used bends fairly easily, and once you box up the stuff, it's pretty strong.
-kelly

I feel like I am the only person that actually really likes the design of the north american XJ tail lights. And how much for materials? Damn that could have bought originals.

On the other hand, thats some superb craftsmanship right there.

Those are great!

When does production start? Are you taking pre-orders? :laugh3:

I don't usually even look at these kinds of threads here (I reserve that for JeepForum--I don't know why; I guess that whole forum just seems to be more "Hey, look at my new ______ mod!"), but I have to say that those are awesome. You did some really nice work! I think I have to agree with others who've indicated they'd be willing to buy them.

Thanks guys. Yah, I'm not a "ooooh look at my cool new mod" kinda guy either, but I'm all for sharing something that worked out well for me with others. Power to the people and all that crap. If I set myself up with a couple of jigs, maybe I could put a few together for others for a decent price. I'm sure I could get the costs way down after a couple. Might work out pretty good for you Americans once you compare the exchange rate, and even good for us Canadians who can actually find something made Canada that you don't get hosed on Duty and Taxes at the Border.
The blinking is a simple fix. For those that haven't tried putting LEDs in, the LEDs draw so little current that the flasher unit thinks you've got a burned out bulb and goes into hyper flash mode. There's a couple of fixes out there; one involves modding a TJ flasher, another (not recomended) splices a resistor into the circuit, but the simplest is just to grab a standard replacement electronic flasher (EP27) off the shelf and stick it in. It's really that simple. I speak for the 97+, I don't know how the earlier ones are set up.

-kelly

Why not just add a resistor before the led circuit grounds? If you have the right omage (or is it ohms...hmm) its same as the bulb- the resistance of which I can measure accurately and select the resistor from my assortment (I used to build more electronic stuff).

Yah some guys do go to the trouble with the resisor trick. If you want to do it right, that involves cutting and splicing and soldering and heatshrinking under the dash, trying not to melt your carpet or your fingers, or drip solder in your eye. And I've heard stories of guys melting half the harness with the heat from the resistor, call it unconfirmed rumors. As opposed to undoing 4 or 5 screws, removing the panel, popping out the old relay, popping in the new, and screwing the screws back in. Really, it's a no-brainer, it's that simple. I was skeptical when I heard about it and right up to when I tested the signals, but the electronic EP27 works just fine with the LEDs. Plus the whole purpose of the LEDs (other than looking way cool, of course :sunshine: , and getting away from replacing burned out bulbs) is cutting down on current loads. Putting in a resistor converts a fair bit of energy to heat, half defeating the purpose. Not that anyone actually cares about saving 1/2 an amp when they hit the signals in an XJ.
-kelly

Oh- I was going to suggest adding the resistor in series to each of the blinker circuits after all the LEDs before the connection to ground but if the different module works just as fine and is easier... Of course, soldering upside down under the dash hehe been there before.

Saving 1/2 an amp... My old (85) S-10 with the 2.8L marine restraint device had the amp gauge and it would dip in sync with the blinkers :wierd: maybe a voltage regulator problem?

Back