• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35's on a 4.5" lift?

Shomsky462

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
i was really thinkin about putting 35's on my 91 with 4.5" lift and 1.5" spacers and shackles and i was just wondering if any body has done this and what is your opinion on it? i know ill have to chop a lot but will that be enough? and i know about all the new gearing i have to do.

maybe nobody has done that before.....:rolleyes:

Shomsky462 said:
anyone? please

1. You waited like half an hour on Sunday night. Chill.

2. I've got about 5" lift in front and maybe 6"-7" in back, with 35" MT/Rs. I have TJ flares in front, and my rear fenders are cut past the pinch seam. My tires are constantly in my fenders while wheeling. As soon as I redo my front suspension, I'm going to lift it another inch or two. Bumpstops would help right now. You'll need bumpstops if you stay low, if you don't want to rip chunks out of your tires.

3. Your profile says you're 16. I doubt you'll take my advice, but try looking at, say, 33s. They're still big and badass, but it's significantly easier and cheaper to make them work.

Are you asking if it's possible? A friend in town has the Rusty's 4.5" lift and we just trimmed his to fit his 35s, he ran 33s with no trimming.

ok sweeet thanx. my stepdad has some 33's on his 85 i think it is cj-7 (which he got for 5,000 with 43,000 miles on it with front bumper and winch). so maybe if i swap those and go wheelin just to check it out then maybe i will change my mind i dont know though i think ill end up prolly just gettin 33 then if you say that they rub on yours. what did you do about the trimming past the pinch seam, just welded it back or what? and how far can you trim on the front?

so i guess i dont really need 35 but i want to be able to get through the rubicon so will this get me through? 4.5" lift, 1.5" spacers and shackles, 33's, front h.d. bumper, sliders, 4.56 gears and a lockrite in front and a stock limited slip in back, k&n filter. will that get me through or not?

stay with 33's man, less breakage. less to deal with. And 33's look good and dont rub.

ok thanx i think thats what im going to do then cause i dont really want to run inton any more problems than i already have cant afford to

Shomsky462 said:
so i guess i dont really need 35 but i want to be able to get through the rubicon so will this get me through? 4.5" lift, 1.5" spacers and shackles, 33's, front h.d. bumper, sliders, 4.56 gears and a lockrite in front and a stock limited slip in back, k&n filter. will that get me through or not?

With some good spotting, you should be fine. My pops runs the rubicon every year...i did it a couple years ago with him in his 'yota and saw some rigs that had alot less than what your describing and they did MOST of it just fine. Stick with 33's...35's really wont do anything more for you with a 4.5 lift as your going to have to bumpstop the crap out of it and will loose a good bit of flex. To give you a size perspective, these are 33's with a RE 4.5" lift on my XJ that i just finished...

Suspension2.jpg

Theres room to flex, but its still going to be pretty tight. I could probably stuff 35's on there with some more fender trimming, but its more cost and trouble than what its worth.

yeah, it's sounds like the rig will make it, now the driver??... thats up to you.
Shomsky462 said:

ok sick thats a sick rig. i didnt get th re 4.5 cause i didnt have the mney at the time but im happy with my rough country it just didnt come with all the goodies that re came with like disconects and sway bar ans other stuff that i had to buy extra but yeah what gears you runnin? stock?

Yes, they are stock and its a freakin DOG with the 33's. 4.56's are sitting in the garage waiting to be installed sometime in the next coming weeks.

sick but do you need new carriers cause what are your gears at right now. im pretty sure that i have 3.73 and if i go 4.56 i dont need new carriers. or are you gettin lockers?

Im already locked in the front(lockright)...i will need a new carrier for the D30 front. Stock gears are 3.07 or .08 and the cut-off for a new carrier is like 3.70something...the 8.25 rear does not need a new carrier. If you have the D35 rear, im not sure though.

Look not sure if you have searched for anything regarding gears, axles and your piece of hell dana 35...I gurantee you put 35"s under your rig, no matter the gear size and you drive like I did when i was 16 you will snap ur crappy C clip axle and will loose one of your tires and have to three wheel it home. not only will you look foolish, many people will be pissed at you for holding them up...spend your money on a rear axle if you plan to do any serious wheeling..good candidates are the ford 8.8 95(?) and newer have disk brakes, and I personnaly have the full width 9" from an 80's something ford truck.

**I just realized u said 91, you may or may not have the 8.25 I have an older model cherokee so I had the dana 35, either way its still not much better, no matter how you polish a turd, its still a turd**

thats a nice way of puting it but yeah i have a chrysler 8.25 and ive looked for so long to find out if it was 3.73 or 3.55 or whatever it could be but im preety sure that they are 3.73 so i wont have to get new carriers but ive heard enough people tell me that my shits gonna brake if i put 35 on there so i think that 33's will be suitable even though if i had 35's id be the sickest rig at school ohh well i think ill have the sickest rig any ways if i put 27 on there cause where i go its a really wealthy community and a small town so everyone has lowered bass thumpin rice rockets. so ill be able to run them over when im finished!!! hehehe yay!

Back