• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i-pod help.

T.Hopp

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at getting an i-pod but don't know anything about them. Do i-pods have radio tuners in them? I want the option of listening to the radio as well as downloads. I don't need the videos and pictures option. This is for my wife who will be using it bike riding, hiking etc..

My gal talked about those things for a year and I thought they were stupid and a waste of money. After she bought one...I I told her to buy another one that she could use. I love the thing. I do not believe they have the radio tuner option but they just might now. She just went to get groceries I'll ask her about the new ones when she gets home and post back.

I see nothing on their site that indicates tuners. The coolest thing I like about the IPod is that, with the ITunes software, I can take a disc and put it on my PC laptop, and it goes right into ITunes. I have students that have IPods and it's great. I can have them bring it to class and steal all their tunes while I'm running class.

My sister's got one and now I'm thinking about it, it was pretty nice on vacation too. Just be careful, Sony has been putting spyware on it's music CDs so they know if you've been "pirating" their music and that includes for I-Pod use they can have the software send them what music is on your computer (theirs or other labels) and track "illegal" use of their property. From what I understand Homeland Security has told them not to because it leaves a back door or others to sneak into you're computer and there's supposed to be a bunch of class action suits being filled, but Rich may be able to shed more light on this subject. This pisses me and my sister off to, I wanted to put the new Ozzy cd on it once I get one and she want's put her new Kenny Chesney cd on her's but they're both under Sony's label :banghead: :flame:

Last edited:
i have never heard of that^. federal law allows you to back up any media you own. you just cant make copys to sell. the program would show up if you searched the content of the cd. i wouldnt worry about it. just copy your music or buy it from itunes. no the ipod does not have a tuner. get her the mini its 4g and is about 2/3 the size of the normal ipod. if you want something with a tuner look at other mp3 players. i have a mpio that uses sd cards and has an internal memory am/fm and you can record from the radio and voice memos. its about the size of a big pack of gum. and a hell of a lot cheeper. just doesnt hold as much music. its the mpio fl100, check out there website they offer others as well. never had any problems with it.

As far as I am concerned, I-pods are JUNK!!!
My kid baught one this summer, He had it 4 weeks and it erased itself, wouldn't reload.
We sent it back 5 weeks later, it came back.
3 weeks after that, we had to send it back again, same issue,
Now it has been gone for over a month, and still no sign of it.
They wont give him a new one untill it has been in for repair 4 times!

I found some good info on an ATV website. No offense but there are many more young bucks on that site. The youngsters tend to be more into the pros and cons of the electronic gadgets. I heard many problems w/ i pods and their batteries crapping out and costing $100 to replace. To make the long story short, I purchased an I-river T-10 512 mb w/ FM Tuner for $150. It recieved many good reviews for sound Quality and battery life. It got mixed reviews on the operating system. Something to the fact that you could never pick the thing up and figure out how to use all of the features without reading the instruction manual. My wife will figure it out!

I love my iPod, I have the mini, Apple doesn't make them anymore but you can still buy them. I was at MicroCenter last week and they still have about 20 of the blue minis that hold 1500 songs. You just have to call around.

I use the Belkin TuneBase when I'm in the car. it sucks for me though because you have to find a station with a weak signal but as I get closer to the city I pick up stronger signals here and there and get interference and have to keep flipping stations (on the tuner and my car radio) so it's a PITA. There's a new FM modulator I saw at Best Buy, Ice Link, it's $200 and you have to do some wiring to install it. That's the route I'm gonna go after xmas.

The whole battery issue happened last year with the minis, the batteries last now apple fixed the problem. I use mine a lot and haven't had any issues.

If you buy a nano, make sure you buy a case asap, because the they scratch really easily. I'm getting my nephews each a nano for xmas, I bought the case before I even bought the nano. Belkin has good cases, leather and sport ones.

good luck, your wife will love it.

PhunkXJ said:
There's a new FM modulator I saw at Best Buy, Ice Link, it's $200 and you have to do some wiring to install it. That's the route I'm gonna go after xmas.

What kind of head unit do you have? If it has an option for an auxillary out, you can just use that as an RCA input. Then its basically like plugging headphones into your ipod, and it plays perfectly.

If you dont have an aftermarket unit, look into pioneer. You can pick up a nice one with the aux. out for $130ish and buy the adapter.

Just an option to save some $$.

bjoehandley said:
Just be careful, Sony has been putting spyware on it's music CDs so they know if you've been "pirating" their music and that includes for I-Pod use they can have the software send them what music is on your computer (theirs or other labels) and track "illegal" use of their property. From what I understand Homeland Security has told them not to because it leaves a back door or others to sneak into you're computer and there's supposed to be a bunch of class action suits being filled, but Rich may be able to shed more light on this subject.
Don't know where you heard that but its flat-out bullshit...

you know that burns my ass. if someone hacks my pc thats a crime but sony can do it and its not. how is that legal? wonder if we can sue them for invasion of privacy or hacking, since its unwanted hacking software?

Thanks Beej, after your post I checked a post on a RC board I go on, and the first poster said it was old news (guess it was found out almost a month ago, but atleast I'm not the only one just now hearing about it!) From what Dad was telling me today, Texas is filing criminal chargers against Sony besides the Class action suits from New York and California. I'm kinda suprised Rich hasn't posted on this yet, I'd like to hear his opinion on the matter.

Last edited:
Back