• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any engine noise web sites around?

Spanky414

NAXJA Forum User
Reading through all these lifter ticking threads and such makes me wish people posted the sounds their engine was making. Not easy to do except for people with digital cameras that record sounds.

Turns out the one I borrowed does but I didn't know that when it was making noise.

I'm wondering if there is any sites on the net that have a catalog of sounds engines can make. It would be crazy useful.

And I'm wondering if someone here can start one just for our 2.5 and 4.0 engines.

Imagine how great it would be if people could diagnose problems just by listening to some files.

If you have a noise, and don't know what it is, use a long piece of rubber tubing as a stethescope. Pretty much that is the most reliable way to determine the problem.

And you would have to have some real pricey sound equipment to record the noises made by different problems.

I don't believe a digital camera's microphone would be sensitive enough to get a good recording.

There isn't enough recording equip. on the planet to tape all the noises my motor makes. If it's a "ticking" I don't worry to much, if it's kind of a dull metallic sound....RUH ROH!!!

Back