• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The ever-popular guage swap...

alpinetiburon04

NAXJA Forum User
So i know you need to get guages from the same year series of your XJ because the speedo is analog some years and digital in others. I did a stupid thing and bought a guage cluster from (i think) an 87. I'm putting it into a 91. I understand why you can't put a 96 speedo on an 87, but will it work the other way around? I don't want to go through the trouble of doing the swap and it not working. If not, anyone have a unit that will work in my year that I can swap for? BTW, is the whole guage cluster going to be bad, or just the speedo?

It won't work either way round (old gauge in a new XJ or newer gauge in older XJ). Aside from not having a speedo input, the sensors (gauge style) specified for those years are electrical opposites. I am unsure if the connector is wired different or physically wont fit.

I suggest you hit the u-pull it junkyards or hit up ebay (and sell your old one). I come across them all the time at the yard, I go every 2 weeks next time I go I may be able to help you out.

'84 thru '90 used mechanical speedometers (albeit two different drive cable connectors). '91 and newer used electronic speedometers. You need a cluster from a 1991 or newer XJ.

Guys, thanks a lot for the quick responses. I appreciate the help, but I figured I'd test it out real quick. I plugged the cluster in and took a spin around the hood. Everything seemed to work okay. Oil and temp were screwed up, but I haven't put the sensors in yet. Sounds like it works okay to me. Thanks though.

If you get the guages from a "BONE YARD"they should have a book that will tell you what parts and what years are intrechangeable.
Believe the name of the book is HOLLENBACH or HOLLENBAC...this book even shows all parts that are compatabile with each mufacturer......

alpinetiburon04 said:
BTW, I'm pretty sure now that the XJ I pulled this from was a 93...
Well, there's a big difference between a 93 and an 87. If you had asked about a cluster from a 93, we would have told you it should work.

Back