• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP228 questions

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Would a 1986 (or 85?) np228 be 23 spline or 21 spline? I found one in the boneyard with an SYE on it and it'd might be nice to put it into my dads jeep ('94).
Also is 228 any decent? Or should I not bother with it?

Kejtar said:
Btw, I just did a bit more research and it looks like it's got 2H, full time 4H and 4L?
Correct. High range 4WD is not locked, and cannot be locked.

The 228/229 is a very strong, and rather heavy and bulky, transfer case. The 228 uses an internal differential, so in this respect it is better than the 229 (which uses a viscous coupling). It also had a funky shift arrangement, with both a normal lever and a slide switch that controlled vacuum for engaging something. Don't remember at the moment.

Can't tell you if it is 21-spline or 23-spline, but since the other transfer cases didn't go to 23-spline until about '93 (?), I'll guess that the odds are in favor of its being 21 spline. Unless you have an XJ that it belongs in, I think you should pass.

thats not an SYE kit on it. its was OEM like that with a slip in the rear shaft instead. i always wondered about the strength of that rear shaft as far as considering it a "cheap" upgrade.

Hmmm I found references to it being 23 spline but nothing definate. Does anyone remember the link (I can't find the damn thing) to a list of np and nv tcases that they put in a jeep? IIRC it used to be on the new venture site, but since they have been bought by sonmeone else I Can't seem to find it anymore :(

While the front shaft looks a wee bit "skinny" the rear shaft looks solid and the rear DOES have somethign that could be considered SYE. It has a fixed output (from what I have found out it is 32 spline) and the driveshaft looks solid too.

Eagle said:
The 228/229 is a very strong, and rather heavy and bulky, transfer case. The 228 uses an internal differential, so in this respect it is better than the 229 (which uses a viscous coupling). It also had a funky shift arrangement, with both a normal lever and a slide switch that controlled vacuum for engaging something. Don't remember at the moment.
What would the vacuum be for? The front axle is solid and doesn't have the vacum actuated side piece. I know cause it's sitting in my garage waiting to be swapped into the 94 :D

The 228 and 229 are good tranfer cases. I have put mine through some good trail rides and have had no problems. These cases have select trac vacuum actuated 4wd which is located on the tranfer case. With the flip of a switch you have 4hi though sometimes I have trouble with getting it back in to 2wd. The spline counts are 32 on both. HTH.

Kim.

Sound like you've made up your mind, but I'll add .02 'cause I'm bored.
I had a 229 in my '89 Grand Wagoneer(fsj).
It worked great in 4lo, and was amazing in 4hi in any type of snowy condition.
If memory serves, the low range is not as deep as the 231/242 cases.
You may find more info on the IFSJA web site.

Back