• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.10 gears into my 89

GoreD

NAXJA Forum User
I searched but i couldn't find anything, what i'm thinking is that some xj's with the 2.5L came with 4.10 gears i believe. My 89' with a 4L auto i believe has 3.56 or something. N e ways i've got 31's now and am thinking of 33's eventually and i know i will probablly be in need a a new axle. What i'm wondering is if the ring and pinion from a front D30 and rear D35 with 4.10 gears will fit into my D30/D35. Also how much work would it be to do this, is it as simple as unbolting it all and bolting it back up or do i have to clearance everything. Thanks for any help or sugestions, Gord

GoreD said:
I searched but i couldn't find anything, what i'm thinking is that some xj's with the 2.5L came with 4.10 gears i believe. My 89' with a 4L auto i believe has 3.56 or something. N e ways i've got 31's now and am thinking of 33's eventually and i know i will probablly be in need a a new axle. What i'm wondering is if the ring and pinion from a front D30 and rear D35 with 4.10 gears will fit into my D30/D35. Also how much work would it be to do this, is it as simple as unbolting it all and bolting it back up or do i have to clearance everything. Thanks for any help or sugestions, Gord
2.8L ones are your best bet. I just picked up two axles in the boneyard today :D :D One goes into my dad's jeep, one is for sale (although you're too far).
ANyways, swap the WHOLE axle in instead of moving just R&P: way less work.

At minimum the gears and the carriers.

RCP Phx said:
At minimum the gears and the carriers.

Does that mean i would have to replace the spider gears and the carier too? I don't really want to get inot a whole axle swap here or i might as well just go for a d44. So now i'm looking at getting ring, pinion, spider gears, and carrier to swap from a 2.8L .... why not a 2.5???

By the time you do all that, you could have swapped in the two axles that you get all of that out of, cleaned up, showered, had a meal, drank some beer, had a nap... swapping in the two donor axles with the gearing makes so much more sense than pulling the guts out of them to transfer them into your existing axles.

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

thanks for the advice, and i guess that's as long as i don't have to replace any ball joints, do an alignment, or replace some u joints in the front. I guess i will see what i can find at the wreckers ;)

Yep, it’s a lot easier to swap the whole axle. Especially if you have never set gears before. Nobody wants the crappy 4 cylinder and v 6 XJs; up here you can pick up an entire XJ for $400 - $500. The newer Ford Explorers (8.8”) come with disk brakes and can be found with 4.10 gears. They are much stronger than a Dana 35, have the right bolt pattern, come with the right gearing and are easy to adapt to XJs. Just cut off the old spring perches, grind it down and weld new perches back on.

Back