• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

checklist for post-puddle inspection?

whatevah

It's Yellah!
couldn't find anything in a search, although I KNOW it's on here somewhere.

ok, so you sit in a puddle for an hour and a half waiting for somebody heavy enough to pull you out of a kinda-deep mud puddle (up to the doors). What should I check besides the obvious visual inspection? I already checked the intake, but it's too dark to do anything else.

I went through one of those "deeper than it looked" puddles earlier, ended up staying in it for an hour and 45 minutes. a friend with a TJ kept spinning his tires (open diffs and too light) so an 80's Dodge Ram pulled me out. Lucky I stopped where I did, momentum carried me through an extra-deep part of the puddle, I got a gallon of water in the passenger side when I got pulled back out. ( http://gallery.jerryhorn.com/oops/ for those bored enough...)

Last edited:
The bad part of mud fun is the clean up. If you want your stuff to last, clean it well and clean it often. Same thing with grease and lubes, grease it often and lube anything that moves.
The starter and the alternator or are sore spots. The alternator more than the starter. If you get mud or sand in the alternator the brushes don't last long. I've had good luck with washing them out with a strong spray of hot water, blowing them out with air and letting them dry.
I always clean the brakes out well. And wash the under body numerous times. If the mud collects road salt and sits there for awhile, your just asking for trouble eventually.
I usually take a set of ramps with me to the quarter wash. If there is some place with a lift and a power washer near by thats even better.
A lot of guys recommend changing all the fluids. I just check what I have, if it's up to operating temp. and the is water in the motor, diffs, transfer or motor, you can see the discoloration during a fluid level check. A few drops of water will eventually evaporate and doesn't often cause much trouble.
Anyplace mud sits, dries and holds moisture and salt is gonna cause trouble eventually. Any mud and/or sand that gets into moving parts is gonna act as an abrasive. Making sure all the seal areas are clean also helps things last.

Good advice, except it's kinda hard to do when mine is just about the newest you can get. ;) I think my door plate says March 01. Well, anybody know much about those Bejiing Jeeps? :D

Back