• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going from a AX-15 to BA/10

jasfro

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to be changing out a AX-15 in a two wheel drive XJ and putting in a BA/10 trans and TC.What is the interchangability of the hydraulic lines, slave cyl etc.? It's going into a '95 and the doner is a '89.

I know that it isn't a good swap, but it will be temporary (the winter) and I don't have alot of money at the present time to buy a new TC for the ax15.

I did a search and didn't find anything on this that answered my questions.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Hmmm...you say you have a 2wd XJ??? IF that's the case...what do you mean by 'TC'???

If you had an auto trans than TC could mean 'torque converter'...BUT since you are speaking about manual transmissions than I presume TC means 'transfer case'???? (obviously the 4wd auto trans would also have a transfer case) BUT then you say 2wd??? A 2wd jeep does not have a transfer case.

Please clarify this some and maybe someone can help.

What he's asking is this...

He's converting a 2WD XJ (95) to 4WD.

He has an 89 donor rig (4WD) that he intends to use the trans and transfer.

He's wondering if the swap to the 89's trans and transfer is simply a bolt in using the AX-15's hydraulic line,slave cyl etc.

Now, can he reuse his AX-15 with whatever trans he has in the 89?...will the spline count match up? Can a 2WD AX-15 be used in a 4wd conversion?

Personally i'm only familiar with the conversion using an auto trans and was not able to answer all his questions in a PM.

HTH Jason.. :wave:

John is correct.

Sorry I didn't state that in the frist post. I'm looking to make the '95 with a ax15 into a 4x4 by using the '89 ba/10 and np231 tc.

Nevermind me, I hadn't had my coffee before this post.

Last edited:
There shouldn't be an issue with the spline count since he is changing in the entire transmission and transfer. The spline counts were on the output of the transmission and the input to the T-case.

IIRC - All the clutch components are interchangable thoughout the transmissions. I also think the master & slave cyl having to be removed as a whole assembly though.

Which bell housing do you plan to use?

The BA10/5 used the internal slave cylinder/release bearing unit. However, the 89-1/2 thru 93 AX-15 also did. The external slave cyinder was introduced in 1994. So you have to make a decision. If you keep the BA10/5 bell housing you must use the internal slave. If the BA10/5 tranny will bolt up to your 95 bell housing, you would be able to use your existing external slave and hydraulic lines.

Back