• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel leak, help!!!!!

montysbxj

NAXJA Forum User
i have been noticing a smell of fuel after i fill up and my milage has been dropping(down to 9 on the highway) so i crawled under it this evening and found fuel on top of the fuel pump in on the tank. my question is, can i change the fuel pump with out dropping the tank, or do i need to drop it. and do you think it is the pump? any help is appreciated. thanks

Yes you can change the pump without dropping the tank. Did it myself. Just make sure the locking ring is secure all the way around the hole when you are done. Also, make sure the o-ring is seated right.

8700xjs

montysbxj said:
i have been noticing a smell of fuel after i fill up and my milage has been dropping(down to 9 on the highway) so i crawled under it this evening and found fuel on top of the fuel pump in on the tank. my question is, can i change the fuel pump with out dropping the tank, or do i need to drop it. and do you think it is the pump? any help is appreciated. thanks
You should however drop the tank to be sure where the leak is.

i might also add, that there are only 82,000 miles on the jeep. i am teh third owner and i dont know how well the previous kept up on things like fuel filter and such but we will see. i will be dropping the tank tomarrow and figureing it all out. i have the new fuel pump to put in in the event it is that, if not i will return it. but i have been checking it as i drive it and i dont have any more fuel on my pump so i dunno what to think any more. we will see.

Did you check the injectors to see if they were leaking...(O rings)
Could be time for a new gas cap....(Not sealing)
Check the quick connect at the fuel rail coming in and going out..
Check fuel pressure regulator

Not likely that a bad fuel pump is the reason for smelling fuel, seeing that the pump is inside the tank. You need to determine where the leak is before replacing anything.
There are two(as I remember) vent fittings on top of the tank that connect to a "y" just in front of the tank. There's a single tube running from this "y" to the charcoal canister located next to the engine. This system can cause the smell of gas while having no physical leaks--canister saturates and vents below the engine compartment. It's also possible that the rubber hoses at each end of this system are bad, or the fittings on top of the tank are bad. Injector o-rings are notorious for leaking on early 4.0L engines; as are the injectors themselves. With your engine running, slide your finger around each injector, checking for fuel.

What year XJ are we talking about? One with a metal tank, or a 97+ with a plastic tank?

You cant, as far as I know, replace the pump on a later one without dropping the tank. You can with the steel tanks, though it's a bit of a hassle. If you need to check for leaks anyway, I'd drop the tank. The tank can rust at the top from accumulated mud and salty crud, and then it will leak intermittently depending on how full it is, making tracing difficult. The vent lines push into rubber grommets on top of the tank. It is possible to check these with the tank in. You should also check for leaks in the fill tube and the big vent line that accompanies it.

If you drop the tank on an older XJ, be prepared for the almost certain shearing off of the hanger bolts. You can either buy new ones or fab your own from 3/8 inch threaded rod.

I also agree that you should check very carefully for other leaks, such as injectors. A leaky injector or fuel line connection can't really be checked without the engine running, because the gas evaporates so fast. But these things are an engine fire waiting to happen, so you really must be sure it's not that. Older 4.0 injectors often leak around the electrical connection.

Back