• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has Anyone Ever...

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
HAS ANYONE EVER...

Changed a rear main seal by just draining the pan and dropping and scooting it forward enough to access the rear bearing cap??

The biggest problem would be cleaning up the pan to put on a new pan gasket.

yes, I had almost NIL for working room, so I dropped the sway bar for more room by removing the oil pan (took an extra 4 minutes).

yep...done it that way before. can usually get the tube of rtv around most of the pan. got to put it on with my finger in some spots...a good redneck size bead of it so it fills the spots where the gasket is torn up...

Read somewhere that if you take the nuts off the top of the front shocks and support the JEEP on the sub frame,this will give you @ 3" of drop on the suspension.....pan should almost fall out...I gotta do the RMS one of these days.....I'll find out........

XJjosh said:
and if it has say an 8 inch lift you wouldnt have this problem?

I think that would be the case ......maybe...go with more lift,that way you could stand up and do the work :laugh2:

yellowxj said:
yep...done it that way before. can usually get the tube of rtv around most of the pan. got to put it on with my finger in some spots...a good redneck size bead of it so it fills the spots where the gasket is torn up...

WHAT? So you're saying you didn't clean up the gasket, or put a gasket on it? Just gooped it with RTV. I bet it leaked worse after the fact.

you'd like to think that rtv fills the voids...actually we dont use regular rtv...some sort of super gray permatex stuff...next time you take the pan off you'll need to pry it off...

Back