• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Taking apart dash in 97 xj

ekim121

NAXJA Forum User
I had a problem with the defrost being blocked in my jeep, so I started tearing the dash apart today. I found what the problem is: the shaft that rotates the diverter for the defrost is broken, so, while the vacuum system is working properly and trying to actuate the door, the door itself is not moving.

ANYWAY, that's not really the true reason I'm posting. I can see all this occurring, but I still can't get into where all this is occuring. This is becuase I can't figure out how to get the final molded plastic piece that runs the entire width of the jeep to come out. It is loose on both sides, but in the middle there is still something attached that I can't locate.

So far I've taken out:

the plastic and metal panels below the the steering wheel
the glove box
both kick panels
the air bag assembly on the passenger side
the bezel that covers the radio/hvac tower
the radio hvac controls and the aux switches
the top panel of the dash (that runs from end to end above the whole assembly) the gauges
the plastic frame that holds in the gauges
and last but not least the center console

So, if anyone knows what may be holding the final plastic molded peice firm in the center please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Back