• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 won't downshift in corner?

zthang43

NAXJA Forum User
Driving my 91 cherokee last night, I noticed that in a hard left corner, the transmission would not downshift until I came out of the corner. It did this several times; about halfway through the corner I leaned on the skinny pedal a bit (not flooring it, just normal driving) and the transmission stayed in 3rd until I came out of the corner, then jumped down into 1st gear. This was at about 20-30mph, and only on left turns. Turning right it shifted fine, and it shifts just fine during normal driving.

It feels like there is some sort of vehicle roll sensor that won't let the tranny downshift under high lateral g's (well, high for a cherokee anyway:)

Anyone ever heard of this before? I thought maybe I was low on fluid and it was all sloshing to one side in the corner, but when I checked it, it is just slightly overfilled.

It's a 91 Cherokee Briarwood with all the options, and 210K miles. It is all stock, no lift or big tires yet since I just bought it. It runs great and doesn't seem to have any other problems so far.

Yeah, I know being overfilled is bad; I haven't driven it since I checked the fluid level. It wasn't foaming though, and was only a little bit over the "Hot" mark (after being driven for ~40 minutes).

Back