• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie needs help with front shock install

bonnie_kress

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, newbie female here. How tight should the nut on the top mount (front shocks) be? The manual I'm using is not clear and only says to tighten the nut securely. Should the bushings compress at all? Does it matter if I tighten the lower mount bolts first? Any help on the procedure would be appreciated! I have a '98 XJ and am trying to learn and do as much work as I can myself. Thanks, Bonnie

Welcome to the board! :wave:
Snug the top nut down untill the bushings compress. Doesn't matter which order you tighten them in.

Thanks for the spec Timber although I wouldn't have a clue as to how to get a torque wrench on it. I have to hold the stem to keep the nylon nut from turning it and can't get a socket on it. I guess I'll go with the bushing compression method. Thanks again for the replies!

bonnie,

Did you run in to any snags getting the fronts done? I am getting ready to do mine in the next week or two. What kind of shocks did you get? I did my rear shocks last month... man what a major PITA! All the info I got here was spot on and saved me a lot of time and cussing. Good luck and welcome!

MAPS

No real snags other than not knowing 100% what I was doing. The hardest part for me was keeping the stem from turning while I loosened the nuts. Not alot of room to work with either. The bottom bolts were easy. I put on Monroe Sensa-Trac's.

I did the rears last week and lucked out with no broken bolts but I wasn't strong enough to get the bottom bolts loose by myself.

Thanks again for the help.

Yeah, I had to use a crow's-foot on my torque wrench, which seems like it would throw the numbers off. I just tightened them until they felt like 16 ft. lbs. Also, congrats. on no broken rear bolts. You are one of the few it seems.

WesternXJ said:
Welcome to the board! :wave:
Snug the top nut down untill the bushings compress. Doesn't matter which order you tighten them in.
Specifically, tighten the nut down on the stud until the bushing compresses to the SAME DIAMETER as the washer above the bushing.

If the bushing is bulging signicantly past the OD of the washer, it's over-compressed.

bonnie_kress said:
The hardest part for me was keeping the stem from turning while I loosened the nuts. QUOTE]

Not sure if your OEM shocks had boots on top, but I drilled through the boot (hard plastic - easy to drill through) then stuck a good sized screwdriver through the boot. Shock nut came off pretty easily. Now the shocks are in the corner of my garage with extra boot air holes. No problem. ;}

AZ Jeff said:
Specifically, tighten the nut down on the stud until the bushing compresses to the SAME DIAMETER as the washer above the bushing.

If the bushing is bulging signicantly past the OD of the washer, it's over-compressed.
Looks like I've got a bit of loosening to do.

Set the crowsfoot at 90 degrees from the wrench and your torque setting wont be affected.

AZ Jeff said:

Correct.

Jeepsloth said:
Set the crowsfoot at 90 degrees from the wrench and your torque setting wont be affected.

Actually due to the offset of a crowsfoot it will affect the setting. But the difference on most at that setting wont be a huge difference. Any deviation from 90 degrees straight down from the ratchet attachment point affects the setting. In other words the crowsfoot attaches at 90 degrees but the point where the nut is connected to is offset somewhat. The offset increases the torque transfered.

Sarge

Sarge

Back