• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stalling on cold rainy days

maps

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search and did not find a lot pertaining to my problem. Last winter my wife's XJ would sometimes stall at stop lights on cold rainy days. I changed the plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor and coil. When I did this I used di-electric grease on all connections and silicone on the wires where the boot covers the wire. Well I hadn't had any more cold rainy days and figured I had the problem solved. The other day we got an inch and a half of rain and it was cold. My wife was driving with our new born in the back seat and the truck died again. It would restart but would sputter and when put in to drive it would stall. After leaving the truck and coming back to it in an hour it started up and drove away. Anybody got any suggestions? I am going to look for a scanner and check for codes this weekend... anybody got any suggestions on a good scan tool. Sorry for the long post, I am just concerned to let my wife drive the truck with our baby girl.

MAPS

Could you give me any more info on these? Will they throw codes that can be scanned? What makes you think these may be the problem? Thanks in advance for any info that you mey be able to offer to me.

MAPS

maps said:
Could you give me any more info on these? Will they throw codes that can be scanned? What makes you think these may be the problem? Thanks in advance for any info that you mey be able to offer to me.

MAPS
They may not throw a code but the stalling should. They tell the computer the temp on the outside air so the fuel can be adjusted to it.
What year are you asking about.

Maps, did you ever solve the problem? My '97 is doing the same thing. Driving down the freeway in the rain and it lost all power. It didn't die but it would not run well over 1000 rpm. I had to limp to a gas station, sat there for about 40 min. and drove it home with no problems.

I was having problems with the same thing on my 99 when it was cold and wet out. I would let off the gas and it would stall out. On a reccomendation from a chrysler mechanic I cleaned out the throttle body. Carbon and crap can build up on it and when you let off the throttle it chokes off the engine. It quit happening after I cleaned it.

I just pull off the intake hose on the throttle body, hold it wide open and use a paper towel with some brake cleaner on it to clean it out. There was black ring of crap inside of mine. Get it all shiney and it should help. Also, do not spray the cleaner into the body, you will damage the sensors

Back