• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Making Dana 44 Hi-Steer knuckles

JT86XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Im starting on m axle build up for my 92 xj, and have seen some knuckles for sale that look like they are just basic knuckles machined down and tapped for hi steer, is that right, and my main question is, are there any companys selling knuckles at a reasonable price?

honestly you CAN mill any flat top knuckle..... but id brace up the inside w/ a piece of 3/8 plate or something.... the factory ones have spots in the cast to get some extra bite

Check ebay. I got mine off of there for something like $70/pair. I also got a new BTF high steer arm for $30. I was pretty stoked. (is that still a word?)

tealcherokee said:
honestly you CAN mill any flat top knuckle..... but id brace up the inside w/ a piece of 3/8 plate or something.... the factory ones have spots in the cast to get some extra bite

bad plan...

they are cheap enough that saving the $$$ isnt worth it...

and welding to forged steel isnt as simple as mild steel...

I run these:

http://www.partsmikeparts.com/knuckle_kit.htm

They are new castings, double thick on top, 50% extra in the verticle webs. Double steering stops that share the load of the hydro assist such that one knuckle never sees full pressure at full lock.

Nicest ones out there in my opinion (haven't seen or held the new dedenbear units in person.)

I would never try and mill a Ford knuckle to flat top. They are too thin a casting by the time you've milled down to the flat spot, and would leave the top of the ball joint unsupported.

Is this what you've run all along or did you switch to these knuckles when you added the hydro assist? They do look nice, but that's a lot of $$. I'm running cheap old Chevy flat tops. I had to get one of them milled flat and drilled for the high steer arm. I had a guy in TN do it for something like $35 if I remember correctly. There are many more places that do it now as well as many more options for finding already milled and drilled Chevy flat tops and other custom knuckles such as these Parts Mike units and the Deadenbears. Jeff

CRASH said:
I run these:

http://www.partsmikeparts.com/knuckle_kit.htm

They are new castings, double thick on top, 50% extra in the verticle webs. Double steering stops that share the load of the hydro assist such that one knuckle never sees full pressure at full lock.

Nicest ones out there in my opinion (haven't seen or held the new dedenbear units in person.)

I would never try and mill a Ford knuckle to flat top. They are too thin a casting by the time you've milled down to the flat spot, and would leave the top of the ball joint unsupported.

I switched when I added hydro.

My flat top waggy's did well for 4 years with never even a loose nut on the high steer studs.

I've seen too many break with hydro, however. You can buy the PM knuckle seperately, fyi.

rock rash said:
hopefully yellow!

maybe ill get them powder coated :D

Back