• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

largest tire to run w/ Hpd44 up front

mmmkay325

NAXJA Forum User
I know there plenty of talk bout this, but i'm tryin' to find a good solid answer. And i know this all just depends on the skinny petal etc....but what size tire should i stop if for running a 78 ford hp44 up front and d60 rear. I"m in the market for tires again. I'd like to run 38tsl on it....but is that size/weight combo gonna push it runnin' stock stuff on the d44 and being locked? If you wouldn't run it...let me know what you would run w/ that combo. I'm tryin' to keep the budget down and have several used cheap 38's tsl locally...but don't want get a huge tire and break left and right like w/ a d30. So you comments are welcome...and i did search for this. hasta

38's are pushing it with stock axles, start saving for chromo axles!!
However, the only real way to find out is to carry spares and see what happens.

yeah i'd say 38's would be pushing the stock stuff. cromo shafts and some nice u-joints go a long way. i know a guy that is runnning 38" TSL/SX's on a waggy 44's with cromo shafts. its mostly mud and trials, not rocks, but he hasnt broken a shaft yet. i've got a hp44 with cromo's and i'm running 36's just to be safe

I'm running HPD44, yukon chrome moly shafts, Detroit, and will have CTM's or something similar very soon. I run 35" Krawlers and wouldn't hesitate to run 37's. Did you guys read the Ultimate Adventure articles in 4wheeler? like 1/3 of those guys are running HPD44, detroit, alloys, etc. and like 38-40" tires, several of them on 39" Krawlers and V8 power. I think it will hold up.

John

Buddy of mine has an HP44, 5.13s, ARB air locker, chromo shafts, and OX joints in his XJ with a TeraLow 242. On 37" Swampers and wheels all over Hell and back with it. No breakages after 4 years and ZILLIONS of wheeling miles on it.

Avanteone said:
Did you guys read the Ultimate Adventure articles in 4wheeler? like 1/3 of those guys are running HPD44, detroit, alloys, etc. and like 38-40" tires, several of them on 39" Krawlers and V8 power. I think it will hold up.

John

yeah i noticed that as well. it'd be nice to run a 60 and not worry but honestly for the money a 44 with nice shafts and joints seems the way to go for all but the most hardcore

im planning on running 35-36 on mine. itll be stock for a while. im going to go ahead and run a full locker and see how it holds up with stock. and I have spares!!!

mmmkay- There is a guy in your area, Mac Winget I thinks his name, and he's running the same axle combo as you, and similar to mine ( instead of the 60 rear I've got a 9". But If i recall correctly Mac's running 5:13's detroit and cromo's with bobby long joints on 38" TSL's. Now as far as breakage I have no idead but PM him on NC4x4.com his sn is farmboy, super nice guy I'm sure he can tell you what he thinks. I'm running stock shafts with spicer joints and I've got spares but with the 5:13's aussie and 36" bias IROKS i've not had any problems and the 36" IROK actually measure almost a 37. Hope that give you a little insight. -steve

Back