• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hard or soft lines for plumbing OBA

INI SLDR

NAXJA Member #1347
Just curious what you guys are running. I started to plumb with steel lines but what a pain in the ass!!! Its pretty much brake line and I even got a bender to do it with but still...

Anybody have any problems just running soft lines? My plan was to run hard lines through the filters/oilers etc, and then switch to soft lines at the distribution manifold to get the the back of the truck and to the tank etc.

all my valves/filters are in one manifold all together with pipe nipples and such but everythign from there on out is soft rubber hose just be sure to use some good quality on the stuff that connects directly to the compressor because it does make some heat and cheepy hose will burst. if you go thru any sheet metal use something to keep the hose from chafing or use a thru bulkhead fitting.

I've set up a few with C6 air brake lines and like it. Instead of hose clamps and soft rubber, these hoses go on with flare-type fittings (much like plumbing) and have a burst pressure of 2000 psi. They aren't as susceptible to heat and won't pinch. You can easily, with this type of set up, build an air system that won't leak from the get go.

On my 96, I'm using the stock AC rubber hose coming out of the compressor. Where the rubber part bottlenecks down to a steel line, I slid Goodyear rubber airline over it and finished the plumping with that, also used an air manifold, made it easier and neater.

few things to keep in mind here:

metal hard lines will cool the air that comes out of the compressor better and probably help keep yor pressure switch alive by acting as a heat exchanger

if you do go with metal lines, remember that you are using a compressed, oxygen rich, and likely moisture (H2O) rich enviroment wich will lead to rust (unless you are running stainless steal...)

and if for some reason you needed to, you could bend the rubber line out of the vehilce in case something happened and you needed an extra 3 feet of hose for something...

just what i have gathered... take it for what its worth...

I originally plumbed my entire OBA with super cheap air hose and barbs (Wallmart 60ft hose for $12!). I continuously blew the section right next to York because it was just too hot. It was a bad idea... I don't know what I was thinking!

When I replaced it, I chose the air brake line method. I don't know what to really call the type of air brake line I used, but it's a nylon reinforced tubing, 1/2" OD, and uses compression type fittings. Rated for 300PSI and 200 degrees F. I've been using it for about 4 months now, without a lick of trouble. The fittings can add up in price, but for trouble-free hosing it was worth the price to me.

I sliced up the old cheap hose and used it to cover the air brake lines over sharp edges too! :)

In my research I've seen some OBA kits, mainly those for air ride suspension kits use it for their plumbing.

Back