• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

03' TJ motor, will it wotk in 95 XJ

ROBZ95Xj

NAXJA Forum User
I might beable to get a 4.0 out of a 2003 Rubi, i was wondering if it will work in my 1995 XJ. i know the newer 4.0's have distibutorless ignition but can you install a distribtor in them or are the blocks diffrent?

Yes, You will need to change the ignition system over from the old engine. And some of the sensors.

sweet,would i also have to change the cam, or do the distributorless cams still have the gear thing for the distributors?

The distributorless motors still have the pickup that goes into the distributor location. The pickup is also geared and still runs off of the cam. So yes it is geared and you can stab you distributor into that motor. Keep in mind though all of your accessories. The Rubi-wrangler motors are setup diff. Make sure all of you mounting points for your accessories will match the new motor. I know the grand cherokees are different. JG

I was thinking about doing the same thing with an 04 TJ engine but, the accessories were in all different locations. Went to the dealer and looked at how one fit in a TJ, and was also concerned about clearance with the front axle in the XJ too. Blew it off when I came across a great deal on a long block.

Back