• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is the largest spare I can fit in the back

motrctyman

NAXJA Forum User
of a 95 4dr XJ. I currently have 30" Mud Kings and it is getting tight, but my newest lift is at 4" and I was considering some 31" Super Swamper radial TSLs, and I want to fit them in where the standard spare sits, in a vertical position. Do you think it'll fit? TIA :wave:
BTW - After searching, I need to be very specific. Such as... I do not have a speaker bar and I want to lock closed the rear seat. I want the same size spare to fit between the hatch & the rear seat. :chef:

I doubt it will fit. But something worth a try is, I bent the hold down bolt so it aligns with the a hole on the rim straight. Much of the problem getting my 30 to fit in there, was the hold down bolt wanted to pull the tire to the rear when tightened, because is was canted a bit. It took some trial and error to get it right.

1. laying flat you can fit up to a 35 with some creativity or a 33 without any creativity.
2. Standing upright IIRC you can fit up to a 31 with a LOT of creativity (read: cutting holes out :D) or a 235" with no creativity. ALso consider deflating the tire and see how it fits somewhat deflated (see if there is anyone local that you can borrow a tire from to test fit it)

To add to what Kejtar said, you may also pull up the 'rest' that the tire sits on and put it on the floor or a small block. My '96 had two holes that I could thread the J-hook through so play around with that for alignment. I had a 30" BFG AT secured upright in mine for a test fit many years back.

Here's a 31x10.5 on an 8" Canyon. It clears the back of the seat, hatch, soundbar and 1/4 glass.

xjsparetire31s.jpg

My 30" Mud Kings fit fine. I also travel with lots of gear (spare axles, all fluids, etc) and intend to get welding tanks and an Ultimate Air CO2 tank back there, too.

Don't MT/Rs measure a little less than what they really are?

By the way, I plan on running stock wheels.

I carry a spare 31" MT in the stock position with no problem in my 1985.

Back