• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another cup holder idea

i was kinda thinking that too... im just trying to put a cupholder there for the passenger mainly and then put one of the window seal mounting ones (the 1.50 ones from the gas station) on the drivers side door.

im just getting really pissed off at the e-brake style cupholder becuase the holes in it arent good for a whole lot besides cans and it bugs the hell out of me anytime im using the e-brake.

35545F-p.jpg
Take a look at the drink holders made for boats. They are deep and swivel to prevent spilling.

Last edited:
In my mind the best or most original idea I've seen yet is using the bottle holder made for a bicycle crossbar. Cheap, simple and elegant and comes in numerous colors available at any bike shop or sporting goods store.

yardape said:
In my mind the best or most original idea I've seen yet is using the bottle holder made for a bicycle crossbar. Cheap, simple and elegant and comes in numerous colors available at any bike shop or sporting goods store.

Yup, I need to set one up too! Best for bottles with caps, not a hot styo cup of coffee with the cheap plastic lid. :)

I have one of those gimbaled ones for boats, screwed to the dash just to the left of the glovebox. This is a convenient position, but I should warn you that they tend to slosh on acceleration. I added a little foot to mine that hits the lower dash, so it doesn't tilt so much. I also found that putting a ceramic coffee mug in it gives it some more mass and makes it better for holding paper coffee cups.

It's pretty hard to place a holder anywhere else that doesn't interfere with a front passenger's legs, or threaten to spill hot liquids on said passenger.

one place that i find works well is just a roll of duct tape over the shifter handle (87 w/AW4 auto). doesn't work when in park or reverse, but in drive it holds paper coffee cups well, and it keeps my duct tape handy :)

kinda red neck, tho...

Go find a 95 or 96 Olds cutlass cierra with split bench seats, in the arm rest you will find a fold out cup holder that opens up to hold two cups then folds away back into the arm rest when not in use, held in with two screws and the closed lid of the arm rest secures it when open. I had my wifes out and was trial fitting it in my 98 just for the fun of it and because this question comes up every so often. 97 and 98 E class MB's have them to, made out of aluminum and are a rather neat design the double folds up before going into the arm rest...

To further expound on RichP's idea...pretty much all the early/mid 90s GM cars had that kind of cup holder that folds out of the console...the Lumina, the Regal, etc.

Back