• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon, Teraflex or Rusty's

ROOK1

NAXJA Forum User
Have a "new" 1998 XJ and looking to lift it. I am thinking 3 - 3.5 with 31s or 4 - 4.5 with 32's. I need a little help deciding what is the best lift out there for me. It wont be a serious rock crawler just a comuter 5 days a week and trail rig the other 2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rook

rook1 said:
Have a "new" 1998 XJ and looking to lift it. I am thinking 3 - 3.5 with 31s or 4 - 4.5 with 32's. I need a little help deciding what is the best lift out there for me. It wont be a serious rock crawler just a comuter 5 days a week and trail rig the other 2.

Rook

Try the "search" feature; it is your friend. I'd look seriously at mfg's other than Rusty's. RE makes a simple and reliable kit.

gcurtis said:
Try the "search" feature; it is your friend. I'd look seriously at mfg's other than Rusty's. RE makes a simple and reliable kit.

Dont give Rusty's the short end of the stick. I run is 6.5" coils and leafs and am pleased. I was happy with his 4.5" lift that I had previously.

i've run RE and rusty's. i'm not more or less impressed with either.

Don't buy off on all the negative Hype about Rusty's. I run his LA kit and love it. Great on and off road. While others may have a problem with Rusty's, there are plenty of others who have trouble with RE. Do some research and decide for yourself.

rook1 said:

Rook

Be afraid of Teraflex, be very afraid..

Check out dpgoffroad.com.They sell an RE/dpgoffroad hybred kit that nets about 4.5ins. of lift at a reasonal price.Give Dirk a call and he'll answer any questions you have.My.02 worth.

everything i ever got that was teraflex, is now GONE!....thank god!

I can't believe Rockkrawler isn't an option.
Rockkrawler is by far a better lift than those three! solid stock steel control arms w/ a "real" heim joints

Go Rockkrawler all the way!!!

www.rockkrawler.com

check the dealers section and get the phone number for their dealer in Arizona called Performance Offroad, talk to Nick he's very smart when it comes to these things, he will tell you why you don't want anyone else but Rockkrawler

az4wheeler2002 said:
I can't believe Rockkrawler isn't an option.
Rockkrawler is by far a better lift than those three! solid stock steel control arms w/ a "real" heim joints

Go Rockkrawler all the way!!!

www.rockkrawler.com

check the dealers section and get the phone number for their dealer in Arizona called Performance Offroad, talk to Nick he's very smart when it comes to these things, he will tell you why you don't want anyone else but Rockkrawler

Are you talking about Performance Offroad Center? My experience with them has been less than satisfying....

I use all RE suspension components currently, i'v also bought numerous items from Rusty's. Have had nothing but satisfactory results and dealings with both.

My last rig was fitted with RE's 4.5" and 32's, that rig was the most versatile i'v ever owned all in all. I could run moderate trails and drive cross country if i needed.

With your application i'd suggest using both upper and lower Super-Ride adjustable control arms, you'll have the adjustability to dial in the front end. Get the HD adjustable trackbar and tool to rebuild it. Also, get the full rear leaf pack if you can.

You'll also need to consider an SYE/rear shaft and a regear eventually.

The suggestion to call Dirk at DPG was a good one, never heard of anyone not being completely satisfied with their dealings with him.

Rusty's has been great for my rig, I now have the 6.5 LA kit. Thier customer service is great.

Other than having to drop a little extra $ for some extended brake lines, (the brake line extensions are useless) my rusty's kit is great, and I recieved excellent service.

I don't know what you have against Teraflex Geepfreak, when i looked at the quality of the components, RE and Teraflex made it, the rest is basicaly home made welded piece of crap. You get what you paid for. But, ....coming back to the topic, i would have gone long arms instead of short, and probably TntCustoms setup? http://www.tntcustoms.com/webV3/xjylink.asp
Also i would never buy superlift shocks nor skyjacker, they blow goats, if your ride is a DD get a descent set, its worth it, you will not spill your coffee:)
BTW my xj is also 98:)

Back