• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diesel Unlimited spotted

Timber

NAXJA Forum User
My wife, son, and I stopped at Lowe's tonight and I saw a nice looking Unlimited--I thought. When I pulled in next to it, it became clear it wasn't even an Unlimited. It had an UL hardtop--that was still too short by about 4-6 inches and the remainder of the "bed" was covered by a riveted-on sheet of steel/aluminum. I also noticed some recovery shackle brackets/angled shackles I'd never seen before, both front and rear. It also had a snorkel coming right out of the passenger side, but not like a Safari Snorkel brand. It had a rectangular interface with the sheetmetal then had a pipe about 24" long sticking straight up capped by an H1-style snorkel top. Then (after my wife had had enough of my antics and took our boy into the store) I noticed the "Only fill with Diesel Fuel" sticker (which was just printed by a computer on normal paper and somehow laminated) above the filler and the Michigan Manufacturer's plate. I jogged inside to see if my wife had her camera--no. It's killing me. I know it's not an XJ, but it was cool as hell. Oh yeah, it had solid axles.

Did you hear it run? just wondering if it wasn't a take off of the Rescue. They really really need to make that although it is quite a bit bigger then a TJ

CommandoXJ96 said:
must know more....

solid axles? nuff said. i guess im not too concerned.

but im still pissed about jeep thinking about this Compass thingy.

Whats wrong with it? Remember those Eagle cars? Its kind of the same idea I guess. I'll be glad if plans to introduce a diesel, solid axle vehicle hopefully it will be XJ sized not a gargantuan battle wagon like the Commander. Why diddn't you speak with the driver, I know youre wife and kids were waiting but...

I didn't get a chance to hear it. When we left, it was still there. We even waited in the lot for about ten minutes. I really wanted to talk to whoever was driving it, and I'm still kicking myself for not having a camera in the car. My father-in-law is an engineer at the new plant, so I'll ask him about it.

bajacalal said:
Whats wrong with it? Remember those Eagle cars? Its kind of the same idea I guess. I'll be glad if plans to introduce a diesel, solid axle vehicle hopefully it will be XJ sized not a gargantuan battle wagon like the Commander. Why diddn't you speak with the driver, I know youre wife and kids were waiting but...

i didnt mean there was anything like wrong with the Unlimited Diesel idea. i like the idea alot especially if there are solid axles.

im happy if jeep is going in this direction with the wrangler; but im still just worried after seeing the little jeep sports car. thats all i meant.

CommandoXJ96 said:
i didnt mean there was anything like wrong with the Unlimited Diesel idea. i like the idea alot especially if there are solid axles.

im happy if jeep is going in this direction with the wrangler; but im still just worried after seeing the little jeep sports car. thats all i meant.
I agree with you about the direction Jeep is taking. While it's a minor thing, just adding shackles instead of tow hooks tells me they're paying some attention to the aftermarket. And while the snorkel would end up being treated in a gimicky way, it looked way better and more functional than the mall-crawler ones I see. One odd thing I forgot to mention in the first post is that it had a pintle hitch. I can't figure out why a test mule needs one but whatever.

Back