• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Multi Fuel shop Heater?

JP_in_STL

NAXJA Member #767
I'm in need of something to temporarily heat up part of my shop. I have 24x40 with one end (15x24) walled off and insulated. I heat this with a wood stove plenty fine. I occasionally have a bigger project going and need some temporary heat in the uninsulated space.

So I'm at Wally World and they sell an All-Pro 55K BTU "multi-fuel" Reddy heater style that states it burns JP8, Diesel 1 and 2, and Kerosene for $200. Anyone ever use one of these. They must be fairly new as I've never seen anything previously like it for less than $1000. Anyone have one, seen one, used one? If so how smelly/fumey is it running diesel.

The reasoning is I keep diesel around for cleaning parts, burning brush, and the car is diesel. I don't want/need another fuel to store and kerosene can get expensive.

Thanks,

- JP

Well, a friend of my sons picked up a multi-fuel heater at home depot for $35, looks like one of those jet engine types. Heats his two car, uninsulated garage from cold to t-shirt conditons in about 15 minutes. Did not pay attention to the make/model but we're doing two more lifts this coming weekend so I'll take note this time while I'm up there...

i have an older 55kbtu for my shed it works great with k1 never used diesel but it will work fine on that to. sounds like a jet engine when its running but it will heat a 16x20 shed in about 8 min. plus you can take it with you if you have to go over to a friends house to work on his rig in an unheated garague.

my uncle has an old cast iron oil stove. it really doesn't take much oil to keep it running, and you can burn your used engine oil in it too.

I've got a wood stove in the work room side of the shop and it heats it just fine. I could probably rig up a blower and a duct to throw some heat into the 2 car garage space but I'd need to be moving a lot of air.

I knew the older Reddy Heaters are supposed to run on Kerosene fine and would run on Diesel#2 but were smelly. If this multi-fuel thing will run clean on Diesel and not give me a headache I'll be plunking down the cash for it.

I've heard about rigging a steel plate and a drip line for used oil into a wood burning stove. You get the stove hot with wood and then the oil takes over. I generate some waste oil and could probably get a hold of more. Anyone know of instructions for this?

- JP

The military has stoves that will burn wood or you put the 'oil ring' in and hookup a 5gallon can of diesel. One would heat a GP Large in 10F weather, we used them at both Ft Dix and Ft Drum for winter training...5 gallon can would last about 5-7 hours...and it needed a vent pipe and flue thru the roof of the tent.

Back