• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How big should i go?

shortxjdoug

NAXJA Forum User
Just got a 98 XJ and was wondering how big i should go? I want to retain the stock components but i also want to trail ride on the weekends and retain gas mileage for use as a daily driver. was thinking 33's on a 4.5 or 31 with a 3 inch. also where can i get a set of bushwacker cut out flares for my year, they seem to not exist at this point but i see them everywhere. any advice would be appreciated

girls dont like less than 6"

just an FYI

shortxjdoug said:
Just got a 98 XJ and was wondering how big i should go? I want to retain the stock components but i also want to trail ride on the weekends and retain gas mileage for use as a daily driver. was thinking 33's on a 4.5 or 31 with a 3 inch. also where can i get a set of bushwacker cut out flares for my year, they seem to not exist at this point but i see them everywhere. any advice would be appreciated

Gas milage on an XJ whats that........

shortxjdoug said:

30 or 31's on 1-3". No bushwackers.
That is all.

i prefer lower lift with bigger tires.. if you trim the flares, put on some 31's on a budget boost! whoot whoot

if you really want to "retain your stock components," you're looking at a 2" budget boost and 31" tires - max.

shortxjdoug said:
Any experience wheeling? I would first suggest you get a feel for your truck before beginning modification, but once you know for certain, a mild lift and 31's will get you lots of places, especially if you have traction aids (lockers) and lots of skids and armor. Search for Ed A. Stevens' cherokee pages, rocklizardfabrications and madxj, those sites will get you well on your way researching ways to get what you have described. If you are lucky, you will end up with the same mileage you started out with, but more than likely you will end up losing some mileage just in weight gains alone. In my opinion, bushwackers look a bit out of place with tires less than 33's. 35's seem to look good with them. Lots of folks complain about how easily their bushwackers have torn off, so research them too before you decide for certain you want them. They don't make a special model for 97+'s, you just have to tweak their install a bit since the 97+'s have different endcaps and the washer fluid bottle inside the driver side fender.

shortxjdoug said:
1. You can't keep stock components and lift it.
2. Gas milage? better buy a little Kia as a DD.
3. If you have the money, get the 4.5" with 33's. Mind you it will need more than tires and springs
4. Screw Bushwackers, get some TJ flaers and use the additional $250 for a locker.

I'm on 6+in lift and full width axles, soon be to on 37s, I have a few stock parts left!! I still have stock seats and seatbelts and the stock steering wheel!! :wierd:

GirlScout1 said:
1. You can't keep stock components and lift it.
2. Gas milage? better buy a little Kia as a DD.
3. If you have the money, get the 4.5" with 33's. Mind you it will need more than tires and springs
4. Screw Bushwackers, get some TJ flaers and use the additional $250 for a locker.

i have pretty much this same setup. i like it, and could actually fit bigger tires, authough i prefer to retain flex and not bumpstop..

33's are as high as i'd go on stock drivetrain..

Part of me wishes i had put the rig on a budget boost, or 3" with 31-32's, locked it front and rear.. for a little while.. to wheel it like that. I know i could probably go anywhere i go now on that setup. There are only certain spots i go that my 33's and extra clearance really matter.

IMO- Get a budget boost, 31" tires.. "i love my trxus", trim your flares " i love my tj flares", get a traction device for the rear, and maybe one for the front, and you will go a lot of places you couldnt believe possible.

I had a buddy that would so out wheel me when i had xj on 4.5 and 33's due to him having a traction device front and rear, and he had a tj on a BB and 31's.

XJ_ranger said:
girls dont like less than 6"

just an FYI
That's for you white guys. Us bruthas get held to a somewhat higher standard.

Back