• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Basic Maintinace Equipment Recomendations

BCParker

NAXJA Forum User
stock 1997 4.0, aw4, np231, hp30/C8.25

I'm going to be changing all of my fluids in preparation for winter. I am looking for recommendations as to what equipment I should have on hand.

What type jack/jack stands should I get?- capacity/ lift height?- I've done the oil on my back, no lift, but figure it's high time I got some jack stands.

any specialty tools that I will need besides a basic socket set and basic hand tools? - should I pick up a grease gun? what type of grease?

what do I do with used fluids?- I can burn used engine oil in my stove, but what about tranny fluid, coolant, gear lube?

I have changed the engine oil myself before, but this will be my first adventure into transmision, diffs, radiator.

I have seen links to amounts of fluids I will need, please correct me if I'm wrong:

engine:Filter (not fram) and 6 qts 10w30 +2qt for oversized filter/topping off?

tranny: 4qts dexron/mercon III?

TC: same as trans, but how much?

diffs: 1.5 qt each? what weight?

coolant: 50/50 blend- was flushed about a year ago, should I flush again or just replace?- how much will I go through?.

Thanks for your help. I just want to make sure I'm prepared and don't have to run out to the auto zone halfway through.

-B

basic hand tools are all it took to do mine.
TC holds a few quarts of fluid, I bought a gallon of ATF for it, and used a bit more than half.
Diffs take 75-90W gear oil for regular use.
Coolant capacity on my 87 is 8 quarts.I buy 2 gallons of coolant, and mix it up 50/50 in containers before putting it in the car. You get a much more accurate mix this way.
Make sure you open the fill plug on the transfer case before the drain, it's a bumer when you drain it and then can't fill it.
You'll need to seal the diffs back up after you drain them. I use regular RTV, but they do make gaskets if you want to use those. I simply lay a bead on the cover wait 15 minutes, put it on using the top bolt as a guide. Tighten the bolts down hand tight, until the RTV starts to squeeze. Wait an hour then tighten to specs. I did the diffs first, that way the RTV dries while I mess with the coolant and other fluids, just don't forget to go back, tighten them up and fill them after you're done with tranny, engine and t-case.

can't drink beer, makes me sick.
Now, if you want a good drink, go find ome guinness. I'm pretty sure it's dual purpose, can be used to lube your insides and the Jeep :)

i drained and filled my TC the other weekend (NP231) and used approx. 1qt to fill it to the fill hole (owner's manual lists 1qt. also as the fill capacity)

10w30 oil for typical daily use

75w90 for diffs for typical use, red rtv is recommended most to seal the diffs although imo it doesn't make much of a difference (i used ultra black)

^I highly suggest getting a flexible clear hose extension that fits onto diff fluid bottles and quart bottles of atf, you'll see them right in the diff fluid section in autozone

Dexron/Mercon III atf, autozone or advance auto house brand is just fine

The great thing about XJ's is not using jackstands for jobs like engine/trans/t-case/diff changes. Most normal sized guys can fit under one, of course they're not one size fits all vehicles.

Get one of those tube looking things they have at autozone. It screws onto a diff/atf bottle. They're about $3-4 and they'll save you a ton of headaches, you know what kind of headaches i'm talking about if you've ever spilled half the bottle of ATF trying to refill your t-case.

In addition to the basic tools a 10 mm allen socket or 1 3/16 socket(33 mm) will be needed to open the transfer case.
I can never remember which size,but a 36mm fits the axle nut and I think thats too big for the TC.
Wayne

Back