• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clicking sound from new distributor cap and rotor

CommandoXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
its defintely clicking in proportion to the RPM and i can feel the clicking from the distributor cap. i tried applying pressure (pushing down on the cap) and it didnt go away; so i don't think it has anything to do with me not screwing it on tight enough. and its plenty loud enuf to hear outside the running car.

1996 XJ Sport 4 door - 4litre 4aw Np242

The high voltage studs go all the way through the cap, it's possible one is flawed. I once pulled one completely out while trying to remove a plug cable from the cap.
I always put a very light coat of grease on the shaft for the rotor, they sometimes go on hard and you might have to push hard to seat it completely.
The contact on top of the rotor and the matching contact in the cap, can be a sore spot.
If it's clicking you should be able to see a shiny spot where it's hitting.
It may not be the new cap, but the gears on the distributor shaft and Cam. And you are now just noticing it. Pretty common for the gears to click and get noisy.

CommandoXJ96 said:
its defintely clicking in proportion to the RPM and i can feel the clicking from the distributor cap. i tried applying pressure (pushing down on the cap) and it didnt go away; so i don't think it has anything to do with me not screwing it on tight enough. and its plenty loud enuf to hear outside the running car.

You really need to pull the cap and have a hard look at the rotor and inside of the cap. It sounds like its touching inside.

Do a search, and you will find this problem is common.I have replaced the dist in both my 96 and the wifes 98 for that very problem.
If you let it wear long enough it will cause the reluctor/shutter to strike the cam pos sensor and shut down the engine.
Factory new dist was around $145,aftermarket rebuild is about $60 with a core.
Wayne

Back