• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

extended yoke

(o)(o)XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking about going to 6.5 inches on my 00 xj, right now i'm at a solid 5 with a stock driveshaft and a t case drop. The vibes aren't bad at all, i'm wondering if it would be worth it to go with an extended yoke, or if the vibrations would be unbearable, it is my daily driver, i'm just strapped for cash. Jake

(o)(o)XJ said:
I'm thinking about going to 6.5 inches on my 00 xj, right now i'm at a solid 5 with a stock driveshaft and a t case drop. The vibes aren't bad at all, i'm wondering if it would be worth it to go with an extended yoke, or if the vibrations would be unbearable, it is my daily driver, i'm just strapped for cash. Jake
Extended yoke should be really called more room between the ears yoke as it is only longer by 1/8" to 1/4".
Anyways if you have vibes now ("vibes aren't bad at all") address them as you go higher cause vibes are bad and cause bearings and seals to fail (at the very least)

RE Extended Slip-Yoke = stock YJ slip-Yoke

YJ guys have these things kicking around their garage and trash cans. DO NOT pay RE $80+ for one.

i think you are looking for a band-aid for a real issue here though. it's really time for an SYE my friend.

whats more important? going bigger or having a good quality daily driver? at 6.5 on "short-arms" you are pretty much at THE LIMIT of having a useable front suspension, unless you have the control arm drop brackets.

the next 1.5" is a critical point and its time to upgrade a few things before you end up unhappy with it.

Remi is right, i didnt point it out. the YJ yoke has a deeper "throat" that is more U -shaped than the XJ yoke with a nearly square shape.

CTORT said:
Agreed.

I impressed you can actually run 5" of lift on a totally stock d-shaft?!?!?! Holy crap!

i'm a lil over 5" too, but i swapped in a slightly longer shaft and a YJ yoke.

stock drive shaft, only vibes are at about 30 mph, off road, never had a problem, no binding, still have plenty of slip left, not sure how that works, but it does, still has the stock u joints, 110,000+ miles, the last 30 (since i've had it) havent exactly been easy, still no problems.

ditto.. except mines a 90.. im runnin 35's cleanly and can flex pretty good.. i do have somewhat of a vibration at 30.. which is prolly the cause of last weeks u joint practically melting and throwing the d-shaft at about 70.. lol BUT luckily i have a parts xj and just threw the driveshaft off of it on there

pointlaugh.gif
That sucks, It gunna suck more when you get in a situation out on the trail where it does fall out, and so does all your tranny fluid. Just sayin, thats all.

XJjeepLess said:
pointlaugh.gif
That sucks, It gunna suck more when you get in a situation out on the trail where it does fall out, and so does all your tranny fluid. Just sayin, thats all.

to tell you the truth ive wheeled the snot out of it and there hasnt been a single time when my d-shaft has binded up or the yoke has fallen out.. i know its close but somehow i got one of those "magic" XJ's that you can get away with pushing 7" of lift and have practically no vibes and the driveshaft fall out.. my last XJ had the np231 and the farthest i got on it was about 5" of lift and that was pushin it with vibes and the yoke being close to fallin out..

AKswampheep said:
to tell you the truth ive wheeled the snot out of it and there hasnt been a single time when my d-shaft has binded up or the yoke has fallen out.. i know its close but somehow i got one of those "magic" XJ's that you can get away with pushing 7" of lift and have practically no vibes and the driveshaft fall out.. my last XJ had the np231 and the farthest i got on it was about 5" of lift and that was pushin it with vibes and the yoke being close to fallin out..
ummm there is no such thing as magic XJ.... but there is such thing as: haven't drooped the rear enough yet. One of these days you will and you'll be HURTING bad all the way back.

CTORT said:
Agreed.

I impressed you can actually run 5" of lift on a totally stock d-shaft?!?!?! Holy crap!

i'm running 6.5" on a stock ds with no sye - no vibes. probably not too good for the t-case end u-joint, but i did adjust the pinion angle in the rear with angled shims and it has been ok so far.

as i stated in a previous thread with a similar subject though, sye is next.

Back