• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Allignment perfect... Axel, off center

fdsa487

NAXJA Forum User
Question.

My allignment is perfect but my axel is off-center. Does this make a big difference in any aspect becides the fact that it looks stupid? Im just assuming here but I think that if I was to re-center the axel (via HD, RE track bar w/ bracket) that it would throw off my allignment. Am I correct?

fdsa487 said:
Question.

My allignment is perfect but my axel is off-center. Does this make a big difference in any aspect becides the fact that it looks stupid? Im just assuming here but I think that if I was to re-center the axel (via HD, RE track bar w/ bracket) that it would throw off my allignment. Am I correct?
If the axle is off center you're probably likely to rub tires on one side.
If you recenter it, you're correct in suspecting that the alignment will need redoing.

There is no major issues with the axle being off center as long as it is only a reasonably small amount (4.5"). Shouldn't see any unusual tire wear as long as the alignment is ok.

Michael

2xtreme said:
There is no major issues with the axle being off center as long as it is only a reasonably small amount (4.5"). Shouldn't see any unusual tire wear as long as the alignment is ok.

Michael

Actually it is exactly 4.5" off. I just had an allignment 2 weeks ago and didn't realize that the axel was off-center until I put new and bigger tires on it just a couple days ago. Thank you for the advice.

fdsa487 said:
Actually it is exactly 4.5" off. I just had an allignment 2 weeks ago and didn't realize that the axel was off-center until I put new and bigger tires on it just a couple days ago. Thank you for the advice.

I assume you mean 4.5" of lift?

I suspect if your tires are rubbing then your alignment is off, it shouldn't make a difference if the axle is centered or not.

Michael

2xtreme said:
I assume you mean 4.5" of lift?

I suspect if your tires are rubbing then your alignment is off, it shouldn't make a difference if the axle is centered or not.

Michael

My allignment is perfect. Steering wheel centered and it drives straight as an arrow down the road. Maybe i'll take pictures if i get motivated... Ok wait I feel motivation coming on.

Drivers side...
PB150471.jpg

Passanger side....

PB150472.jpg

Whole front end

PB150473.jpg

Random pictures of steering, track bar etc.

PB150475.jpg

PB150474.jpg

PB150477.jpg

Isn't that an adjustable track bar?

It should be centered, that is pretty far off. But, I still do not believe that the "not centered" axle has anything to do with tire wear.

Michael

If the alignment shop didn't adjust the track bar, I would take it back and make them re-do it

I have a problem with the statement that your alignment is perfect it can’t be if your front wheels are not tracking with your back wheels.

Any good alignment includes the front to rear tracking.

If the shop that did your alignment missed that they should do it over for free.

Not only does it look stupid you will also be going down the road sideways.

You will also find that on hard turns, turning left will be different than turning right.

langer1 said:
I have a problem with the statement that your alignment is perfect it can’t be if your front wheels are not tracking with your back wheels.

If the shop that did your alignment missed that they should do it over for free.

You will also find that on hard turns, turning left will be different than turning right.

Both the allignment shops that I have been to said that they do not adjust the track bar at all. Maybe I should take it to a more 4 wheel specific shop... Anyone in SoCal know of a place that does this?

langer1 said:
Exactly. How is it "perfectly" aligned if it's not sitting straight to begin with?

Park on flat ground with the wheels straight, pop the lower end of the trackbar out and bounce the Jeep by hand to center the body over the axle. Adjust the length of the trackbar to fit, and then get it re-aligned.

langer1 said:

Only if the thrust angle is off,otherwise it will drive straight and true,just off-center.

fdsa487 said:
Both the allignment shops that I have been to said that they do not adjust the track bar at all. Maybe I should take it to a more 4 wheel specific shop... Anyone in SoCal know of a place that does this?
Ask for Brian at East County Alignment. I just had mine done 2 days ago and I highly recommend them. They took the time to adjust UCA's and LCA's and Trackbar. I think they are on the corner of Magnolia and Woodson Ave.

Yucca-Man said:
Exactly. How is it "perfectly" aligned if it's not sitting straight to begin with?

Park on flat ground with the wheels straight, pop the lower end of the trackbar out and bounce the Jeep by hand to center the body over the axle. Adjust the length of the trackbar to fit, and then get it re-aligned.

Its easier to pull the bottom out and re-adjust the track bar than the top? Thanks for the advice I would have pulled the top out and adjusted.

True Line should be able to do it too. They have two shops, one in El Cajon and one in Kearney Mesa. The El Cajon shop is just west of Magnolia on Bradley. They did my autocross car which had way more adjustment points than stock, and I saw quite a few 4wd trucks while I was there. It's where I'll take mine when I get done going through the front end.

Mark

markw said:
True Line should be able to do it too. They have two shops, one in El Cajon and one in Kearney Mesa. The El Cajon shop is just west of Magnolia on Bradley. They did my autocross car which had way more adjustment points than stock, and I saw quite a few 4wd trucks while I was there. It's where I'll take mine when I get done going through the front end.

Mark

That is where I took mine last time. The True Line right close to PG Series Trucks and In-n-Out. I was in a real hurry to get in an out and didn't even ask them about the track bar adjustment because I assumed that they did it w/o having to ask.

Back