• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pressure stuck at 80PSI

MAP

NAXJA Forum User
My pressure has been stuck at 80PSI for the last 2 days.
(99XJ, 4.0L)
My guess is I need to clean the connection or the pressure sensor is bad.
It does this with ignition on, engine off as well.

Any guesses before I take a look?
I hope the connector just needs a cleaning. I washed that area of the engine with simple green and a water hose about 2 months ago. Maybe that has something to do with it if some of it got into the connector pin area.

MAP

Matthew's right - there's not a constant flow of electrons through the sender. If it's unplugged or if the connection is corroded you'll get the max reading on pressure.

A day later that I started it the pressure would show 50PSI.

Just turning the key to the run position, engine off, gives a 40-50PSI reading.

I disconnected the connector and the reading stays at 0PSI even at the run position.

Disconnected the connector and cleaned the connection and tried mating and demating several times with the same results.
The connection is just 2 wires so it appears there's just a strain gauge on a diaphragm.

Looks like my pressure sensor needs replacing.

I've seen prices from $29 up to $46!!! for a pressure sensor!!
I'll check the dealer for their price.

That's nuts.
Does anyone know of cheaper(more reasonable) source?

Thanks,
MAP

got mine from advance for $16.74. Part number: 5971608

looks just like the factory one and has a one year warranty, like it matters.

AH hell, just noticed you have a 99. probably not going to be the same part then. eh well perhaps someone else will benefit.

Back