• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 for trailer axle?

JohnX

Sarge
NAXJA Member
Not at all familiar with Danas, as I have the 8.25".

Would a D35 work for a trailer axle...does the carrier have to be intact like an 8.25" (c-clip) or will the axles stay all by themselves.

Just thinking about trying to save a few bucks versus a new "trailer axle" since D35 rears are just about free?

JohnX said:
Not at all familiar with Danas, as I have the 8.25".

Would a D35 work for a trailer axle...does the carrier have to be intact like an 8.25" (c-clip) or will the axles stay all by themselves.

Just thinking about trying to save a few bucks versus a new "trailer axle" since D35 rears are just about free?

yeah the d35 is a c-clip axle

ya... it'll work fine. its a c-clip axle (some old ones were'nt though) so you need the carrier, axle side gears, and cross pin. ring and pinion can go, and the other 2 side gears can go. If you remove the pinion, you should cap off the hole so you can run gear lube. Pull the shoes, hardware, and such.

XJ_ranger said:
yeah the d35 is a c-clip axle

Mine wasn't. That didnt make it break any less easy, but at least I was able to be strapped to pavement. :)

I would just go get a trailer axle myself. I bought a 2000 lb axle with hubs for under $100 at Red Neck Trailer Supply. I know Northern Tool is about the same price and suspect there are other places as well. Find a local source to save on shipping. I'm thinking the D35 will be a 1/2 ton axle at best - could be wrong.

Spudboy

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll just buy the trailer axle...since it is what I want anyway. I thought about the mini van idea, but was thinking along the lines of getting one free...which would be easy with the d35.

Thanks,

Back