• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone use CATIA?

Roxtar

NAXJA Forum User
Might be getting it here.
Anyone have any experience with it?

kid4lyf said:
Might be getting it here.
Anyone have any experience with it?

Boeing Seattle uses it, but not St Louis... we still use Unigraphics, which I guess is a legacy thing from the old McDonnell-Douglass days. Coming from a SolidWorks background, I hate UG. I have heard that the latest version of CATIA is intuitive and user friendly just like SW, which makes sense since they are both part of the same software company.

Advantages over SW?

Before making the leap, consider what a majority of your customers or vendors use.

I have not run into an organization using CATIA in eons.

Unigraphics... gag. Ditto for Solid Designer (HP) and Pro-E. Talk about software for the sake of software. The one thing I used to hate was the software of the month club.

--ron

I have used Catia, Pro, UG, Inventor, and SW.
Here is how I rank them.
SW
Inventor
pro
UG and Catia (both suck)

Ford uses CATIA sometimes.

No experience with SW but IMO, UG is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Dirk Pitt said:
Ford uses CATIA sometimes.

No experience with SW but IMO, UG is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Try SW or Inventor for a month then try to go back to UG. It will make almost no sense at all, too many clicks to get something simple done.

BRIANHO13 said:
Try SW or Inventor for a month then try to go back to UG. It will make almost no sense at all, too many clicks to get something simple done.

That's my problem at work! UG has too many complicated ways to get from point A to point B, whereas SW has a simple, intuitive, logical process. Whenever I try to model something on UG I get very frustrated very quickly and wind up waiting until I can use SW at home and then bring in a parasolid file.

i use V4 at work. didnt know it at all when i started and picked it up in a month. had V5 training a few months ago and i dont like it. we have one guy that has been using V5 exclusivly since the traing and he loves it. and yes DCX uses CAITA

use mostly SW and it still has it suck points..everything has to be done by the mouse, keyboard shortcuts would be super sweet. And I just got SW 05 and 04 was much better, 05's got all kinds of suckage.

I though CAT uses Caita?

BRIANHO13 said:
I have used Catia, Pro, UG, Inventor, and SW.
Here is how I rank them.
SW
Inventor
pro
UG and Catia (both suck)
Not completely sure, but I think the ones towards the bottom of your list have their strengths in stuff that is useless for the home user, like file sharing (Pro/Intralink for ProE) so 500 people can work on the same design without getting their toes stepped on...and also interfacing with corporate SAP type systems...

Back