• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spy Axe...????

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Anyone ever heard of it? This thing has invaded my pc and willnot go away! I already use ad-aware and spy bot. I dont need another one! Tried to remove and it came back. My guess is its in a reg key somewhere! Any help would be appreciated!

I found one in my temporary internet files, couldn't quaranteen it, couldn't remove it. I finally purged it by emptying my temp. internet files and trash can from the utilities program. I'm an internet idiot, but it seemed to be reloading form my trashcan. It also made a couple of clones of itself, that were as hard to get out as the original and parked themselves in differnt folders.
I'm suspicious of most any compressed files. especially in the temp. internet files.

There's a program called called Pest Patrol, which has the detection portion free, but charges for the remover. It seems to be very thorough, and if you're patient you can get a log of all it finds in the free version, and then delete the files manually. It gives you all the directory paths and registry keys, and even includes malicious cookies. It might take several boots to do this with spyware that continually tries to reload, since Windoze won't delete a file that's in use.

It's been a while since I needed it, but as I recall, you can tell the program to save a log, and then you can find that file and print it out as a plaint text file. If you try to get it to print the list directly, you'll get a million pages of formatted, colored html.

I haven't checked recently for new versions of PP, but it's worth a try, and if you're not really comfortable hacking at the registry, it's probably worth the price to buy the remover if the detector finds what you're looking for.

Back