• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone running without rear hatch??

trailbuilt

NAXJA Forum User
I am building a cage and would like to ditch my rear hatch all together...since it never opens anyway... How bad will the exaust come back in on the road if I ditch it??

I ran without the hatch for several months. I only noticed exhaust smell when I was backing up. I drove on the interstate too, never noticed any exhaust smell

709845507105_0_ALB.jpg

You will only really notice exhaust fumes when sitting still, backing up and initial "get up and go's". Try riding with someone with a k5 or wagoneer wit hthe back window down to give you an idea. If your nose is supa fragile, don't do it. minor exhaust fumes don't bother me though.

For me, the exhaust fumes were so bad, I had to cut off the roof just so it would disperse.
My exhaust dumps out under the rear floorboard, though.

is.php

is.php

Last edited:
conway4x4 said:
Is there an easy way to make it temp.? i have my doors off but would like a total air out? on ocasion. I love the pics by the way
I knocked out the hinge pins and used some 1/4" (IIRC) bolts.
I could remove and install it in less than 30 seconds.
As for the wiring, I just cut it, as I had already pulled the wiper, motor and electric lock for weight reductions.

Awesome, Ya my darlin went on a diet when i first got her, lost the carpet all nonessential wireing & and all inside panels. Is there much play? open or closed? I am really looking forward to this!! i got great looks with my doors off this summer. just I didnt want to loose my back hatch though. My doors are a little sloppy but shut nice.

conway4x4 said:
Awesome, Ya my darlin went on a diet when i first got her, lost the carpet all nonessential wireing & and all inside panels. Is there much play? open or closed? I am really looking forward to this!! i got great looks with my doors off this summer. just I didnt want to loose my back hatch though. My doors are a little sloppy but shut nice.
No play.
It still opened, shut, and latched closed tightly.

conway4x4 said:
Awesome, Ya my darlin went on a diet when i first got her, lost the carpet all nonessential wireing & and all inside panels.

heh....i was with ya until the wireing and all that jazz. I thought you were talking about something else. You cant go around calling jeeps "darlins"

DON'T do it.
The hatch is a structural part of an XJ.
Your jeep will fold like a taco.

trailbuilt said:
yeah but after the cage thats going in that wont be an issue.
It'll implode around the cage.
You've been warned.

seems to me ALOT of people loose the hatch, cut the roof,cut the rear roof off and buggy xjs.......they dont seem to have any major issues..Just like everyone said that the front door are important....been wheeling with tube door or no doors all summer no problems for me.I understand your point but I am tired of not being able to open my hatch, and dragging my rear bumper and spare tire on the ground.My new design with cage is going to be awesome...

Back