• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trimming Flares...Help

PEAFMAN

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a RE 2" BB for my 93 4 dr Xj and I have 31x10.50" A/T's ready for it. The lift will be here in about a week and I need some help w/ the cutting of the flares. I've searched the forums and the pictures don't exactly explain how the flares were cut. I hate to ask this but how do you trim your fender flares? It seems that some people remove their flares, trim the wheel wells and then re-install their flares. I'm wondering do you trim the flare while it is on the jeep or do you trim the wells and then re attach. If so what should I use? I see people talking about taking a saw-zall to a jeep but I think my jig saw would make a cleaner cut.

Please explaing how I should go about doing this. I'll be trimming tomorrow and I'll make sure to take pictures. Thank you.

with a 2" BB and 31's there probably wont be a whole lot of cutting necesary..Install everything and flex it out and see what will need trimming.. my guess would be just the bottom parts of the flares with no metal cutting... but you never know.. I ran 31's on stock suspension for a while with just little rubbing on the flares http://www.cardomain.com/ride/529567 about 1/4 the way down on page 1 rear stuffed

Used a dremil tool and a bunch of cut off wheels, just follow the body lines, for the rear i cut notches and hammered up, and the quarter panel just got sawed straight back.
dormroom0228sg.jpg

dormroom0211hy.jpg

best picture I have of the front fenders

cutandfold.jpg

What it looks like:

DSCF0051.jpg

DSCF0052.jpg

RE 3.5" lift (actual 4.5), 31" tires
Right now I have a bit too much clearance and my tires look kinda dinky on it but since you have a 2" lift it would probably look perfect on your jeep.

Last edited:
http://community.webshots.com/user/chris550

go to my 'MODS" album for more pics. I followed FitchVa's write up and I used a 4.5" angle grinder for cutting, but others use dremels. I painted the edges with black rustoleum then I also used 3M Rubbermastic tape from Home Depot to put around the cut edges. It's a sticky rubber tape, 10 foot rolls, $8 a roll.

Have fun, and I'm on MJC if you have any other questions. I posted on teh general tech line about this awhile ago.

Chris

Back