• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 4.56s Install

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
Am I correct... The stock carrier on the Ford 8.8 will accept 4.10s but not 4.56s. If so, I read somewhere the "center pin" must be notched for 4.56s? I've never installed gears in an 8.8, I am just curious what all I'm going to need to plan on doing.

most axles have a carier break, that means that there is a carier for low gears and one for high gears this allows for the offset due to the size of the pinion.
i do not beleive that the 8.8 has a different carier for different gear ratios ( i may be wrong on that)

as for notching the center pin some some grind the center pin some grind a tooth or two on the ring gear. the area needed to be ground on the ring gear is very small and does not effect operation if done right.

have you installed gears in any axle? if so it is not much different.

I just had a friend install 4.56s in my 8.8 and he didn't have to notch the pin.

No carrier breaks in Ford axles.

CRASH

Back