• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2WD Wrangler

53guy

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, time to poll the guys in the club and the internet.....we're having a heated discussion at work debating if Jeep ever made a 2WD Wrangler or not. Let me know what you all think and if you can, provide a reference. Thanks a bunch guys.

A bunch of bored marines.

yeah, some of us thought that too. a few guys in the shop are saying that they made 2WD as well but they dont have a reference. any way we can prove that they only made 4WD's?

AFAIK, there was never a 2wd YJ, or TJ.
Atleast not for US use.

There's atleast one 2wd CJ I can think of (in addition to the 2wd DJ series).

CJ10 is 2wd, but that's hardly a Wrangler.

Post office, some of the tropic resorts have them too, the most likely place to run into them would be florida, bahamas, nassau, virgins, hawaii, etc. The post office has had a few, only reason I know is two of my local home customers are also mail carriers, one has a TJ and one has an XJ, we were all talking one day and dot who bought the TJ said she saw 3 or 4 03 TJ's that were 2wd, maryann also saw a couple of 2wd XJ's being offered to carriers, neither wanted any thing to do with 2wd around here, they have been carriers for the past 8 years or so.

well, that was their arguement, was that there were cj's that were 2wd, then there was a side discussion whither or not they are wranglers. and the DJ, was it a wrangler or cj body that was desiel? thanks a bunch guys, argument proved!

53guy said:
well, that was their arguement, was that there were cj's that were 2wd, then there was a side discussion whither or not they are wranglers. and the DJ, was it a wrangler or cj body that was desiel? thanks a bunch guys, argument proved!

Wrangler moniker was only ever applied to the YJ and TJ in USA market.

IIRC, YJs were never called Wranglers in Canada. I think only after a certain point did the TJ ge tthe name up here.

The GM full-size pick-up used the Wrangler name up here till a certain point in time.

Root Moose said:
Wrangler moniker was only ever applied to the YJ and TJ in USA market.

IIRC, YJs were never called Wranglers in Canada. I think only after a certain point did the TJ ge tthe name up here.

The GM full-size pick-up used the Wrangler name up here till a certain point in time.

I thought thats a Canada-specific thing, not that U.S. domestic market modles only got badged Wranglers. If you go to other parts of the Americas I think you find the Jeep Wrangler.

That could very well be.

53guy said:
Ok - the CJ (aka Universal Jeep) was 4wd. That's everything up to and including the CJ-8. CJ-10s are a different breed, as they are tow rigs.

DJs (Dispatch Jeeps) were a 2wd version of the CJ; so a DJ-5 has a similar frame, engine and running gear to a CJ-5, although the body is most definitely different.

Wrangler was only applied to the lineup in 1987 with the intro of the YJ although as mentioned it's an American name. In Canada, "Wrangler" is a GM product.

To the best of my knowledge there were no 2wd Wranglers (YJ or TJ) in production.

Yucca-Man said:
Ok - the CJ (aka Universal Jeep) was 4wd. That's everything up to and including the CJ-8. CJ-10s are a different breed, as they are tow rigs.

Most of the CJ-10's built for domestic use were airplane tuggers, but CJ-10's were built in many other configurations too.
CJ-10's are more adaptable than the rest of the line (because of the removable bed), but they are still CJ's.

I swear I rode in a new one around '93 or '94. It was a stick shift 4cyl base model this underaged punk had just gotten from his "Daddy" for graduation. He couldn't buy beer so I took his new ride into town to get some for the campout. The kid was an ass and I thought I'd do a little backroading in the Wrangler on the way there and was disappointed that it was 2WD.

At least that's the way I remember it?

- JP

the TJ's with righthand drive in the US are 2wd or 4wd.

A friend of mine once had a 2WD CJ-5 if you consider that part of the Wrangler family. Either way I am willing to bet that they did make a 2WD Wrangler at some point.

Ok...so I just did a google search for "2WD Wrangler" and plenty of evidence came up. I would have to say yes...they made a 2WD Wrangler.

Back