• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor swap

95-4.0-5spd

NAXJA Forum User
Quick Question Regarding Motor Swap

Hey all,
I have a 95 xj that's blown its motor pretty thoroughly. While talking to a friend he said I could take the motor out of his parts cherokee if I cared to, it's a 96. Apart from the year difference they are the same, straight six with 5spd manuals. I was wondering if there are any problems with just doing a straight swap, I figure grab all the electronics and all, but is there any reason the this won't work like the harnesses not matching up? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for any responses.

Last edited:
the big diffrence between the 2 is the 95 has OBD-1 and the 96 has OBD-2 so the electronics will be diffrent

it should PLOP right in. Drop in a new clutch.

Just use it as a long block, and your good to go. Don't worry about the other stuff. Use what you have.

robz95xj said:
the big diffrence between the 2 is the 95 has OBD-1 and the 96 has OBD-2 so the electronics will be diffrent

Very minimally though. The OBD2 wants 2 O2 sensors and uses a higher fuel pressure and somewhat different injectiors but you could use the original 95 fuel rail, computer, map sensor, etc and attach the stuff to your new longblock. Shouldn't be too complicated.

Back