• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loud noise in 4 wheel drive

Lunatic728

NAXJA Forum User
Searched found some topics, but not one that fits.

90' XJ 231 tc and NON vac disconnet axle. 4.88 gears and no locker. Axle just rebuilt in May. Everything is new and I do mean everything.

Well on Saturday while wheeling I have develped a very nasty noise. Sounds like building up and then letting loose all at once. It is very loud and makes you say ohhh my god what the hell was that. Happens more in 4lo, but also happens in 4hi too. When pushing it over rocks, or turning sharply. I also had a what I can only describe as a loose chain sound while driving down the street. You know that clicking noise.

What I have done to narrow it down.

Disconnected front drive shaft. Did find one bad U-Joint so I will replace that today.

Dirt parking lot, 4LO step on the break and give it some gas and the noise is there. Same lot front driveshaft disconnected 4LO the noise is not there.

Ohhh I had no fluid in the TC, so refilled it. Found a leak at the tail shaft

While driving trany in N I pull the TC in N and the chain noise goes away.

I have checked the gears in the front and there was no metal shavings in the gear oil when I drained it. I did take pictures of the gears if that may help.

So what I think.

I streched the chain in the TC since I had no fluid in it :oops: . Or one of the new timkin unit bearings is gone and allowing the shaft to slip past the spines. So I have some work todo over the week. :(

Site admin for www.pa-wheeling.com

Back