• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FINALLY, start my XJ project!!

AJsArmor

NAXJA Forum User
After 3 years I finally get to tackle my XJ and build it up to what I want-a reliable wheeler, good road manners, plenty of power for towing and try out some new ideas I have. Here's the plan...

Gut it completely...engine,trans, tcase, axles, suspension, dash, wiring, seats...all gone. Take the header panel and front fenders off and cut the entire front off from the firewall forward. Open up the rest of the framerails top and bottom, weld in rect. tubing to replace the weakened framerails and give me a good base to support everything. Fab up the front framerails wider, build some inner fenders to reattach the header panel and fenders. Cut out a large section of the firewall and move it back a bit and give clearance for the C6 trans and 351windsor. Lengthened radius arms for the fullwidth D44 and 4 link and coils for the 9" in back. Chop the back off and move the gas tank up or fuel cell, small bed with a pull out storage in the floor. Front and rear flares yanked, bigger wheel tubs in back, run tube and sheet metal to bulge the fenders out a bit and give "some" coverage over the new meats.

Full cage, custom dash, Summit heater unit, a REAL radiator (front crossmember is going bye-bye so I can put a universal aluminum TALL radiator in. Should start on the tear down within a month, I'll post up pics along the way!

sweet

Maybe im just new but y dont u just start with a full size? cuse it seems u wanna cram full size materials into a mid-size...may be im wrong well, good luck and cant wait to see the finished product

AJsArmor said:
a REAL radiator (front crossmember is going bye-bye so I can put a universal aluminum TALL radiator in.

What are you gonna do for steering?

making the front frame wider, will help fit the exhaust and the radiator and steering box but then your tires are gonna rub on the frame?

What wheels and tires are you planning. With stock width frame, and 84in out side tire width I rub the frame with 42s.

Sounds like a larger project then mine is. You'll run a 205 behind the C6?

Steering the links will obviously be 1.5x.25DOM links with heims or TRE's, not sure yet. Since the column is going too I'm just going to build my own setup down the gearbox which I think I'll go with Chevy box and hydro assist or maybe just Durango. I'd like to push the axle forward a bit more but it's really going to depend on a lot of other variables right now.

The framewidth might end up being close to the same, just a touch wider. I know for sure the firewall is getting some severe surgery though. I'd like to not go any higher than 38's but plans are subject to change as usual. Have a couple sets of steel wheels that I gotta pic up, see what backspacing they are and then weld on beadlocks.

There is so much up in the air I'm sure everything will change 10 times before it gets even mocked up. One thing I'm really unsure of is actual suspension, leafs would be easier out back but I hate axle wrap and would rather just go coils out back to start. Thought of maybe trying airbags located somewhere on the mid-point of the lower arms for front and back but honestly haven't researched them enough to know much about them.

This post is pointless without pics AJ :wave:
I had to say it buddy.

I sure hope to get a few spy shots before everyone else, you will have a few of my MJ(thats already backhalfed!) on the 15th.

I'm stuck on what I want to do for the rear too. I have had thoughts of a 3 link but....

Good to hear you got it going. If you need parts or help give me a ring...andy

this thread is so full of advanced fabrication and engineering, i think I might faint.

I fart in your general direction

:passgas:

Mothertrucker said:
Maybe im just new but y dont u just start with a full size? cuse it seems u wanna cram full size materials into a mid-size...may be im wrong well, good luck and cant wait to see the finished product

:dunno: this is NAXJA

full hydro
no cranky = no steary,
hydro assist is more functional and reliable, but its all about your quality of life and safety, its up to you,

JLane99XJ said:
full hydro
no cranky = no steary,
hydro assist is more functional and reliable, but its all about your quality of life and safety, its up to you,
Not true. With the correct orbital valve, you are able to steer even when the motor is not running. I also do not understand how assist is more "functional"?

-Jon

JLane99XJ said:
full hydro
no cranky = no steary,

My steering valve is a non load reactive valve (no road feal) but it has a mauel check valve that allows for mauel steering, with no engine parked you can turn the wheels just like with no power steering and the engine off.

I would not do full hydro on a street machine.
Full hydro on the street can cavitate, your steering will feal stiff, it will alow you to turn through it but you will over correct. feals like its sticking, at high speeds this could swirve you into traffic. If the setup is flawless this wont happen, but it is common.

AJsArmor said:
After 3 years I finally get to tackle my XJ and build it up to what I want-a reliable wheeler, good road manners, plenty of power for towing and try out some new ideas I have. Here's the plan...

Gut it completely...engine,trans, tcase, axles, suspension, dash, wiring, seats...all gone. Take the header panel and front fenders off and cut the entire front off from the firewall forward. Open up the rest of the framerails top and bottom, weld in rect. tubing to replace the weakened framerails and give me a good base to support everything. Fab up the front framerails wider, build some inner fenders to reattach the header panel and fenders. Cut out a large section of the firewall and move it back a bit and give clearance for the C6 trans and 351windsor. Lengthened radius arms for the fullwidth D44 and 4 link and coils for the 9" in back. Chop the back off and move the gas tank up or fuel cell, small bed with a pull out storage in the floor. Front and rear flares yanked, bigger wheel tubs in back, run tube and sheet metal to bulge the fenders out a bit and give "some" coverage over the new meats.

Full cage, custom dash, Summit heater unit, a REAL radiator (front crossmember is going bye-bye so I can put a universal aluminum TALL radiator in. Should start on the tear down within a month, I'll post up pics along the way!
at this point why not buy a ford and stick an XJ emblem on the side :laugh3: .........then build me some rock rails with integrated belly pan in your new found spare time....hehehehe :D

NHextremeXJ said:
at this point why not buy a ford and stick an XJ emblem on the side :laugh3: .........then build me some rock rails with integrated belly pan in your new found spare time....hehehehe :D
Cuz trucks are for hauling pigs around here. Me have no pigs, so no need truck. Was planning on running a stroker 4.6 but got too good of a deal on the 351 and trans to pass it up.

Hmmm...Boost your credibility with some beautiful pics of your creation...

If you don't have a photo...sketch it out on paper:)

Back