• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering problem?

ChipsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i recentlr bought an 88 xj 4wd with a broken steering column.

i replaced the steering column and the power steering pump. when i turn the steering wheel it starts out good. but after a revolution or so, it 'catches' or kinda 'hangs' then turns a revolution or so then 'catches' or 'hangs' again then is ok for a revolution or so then.....well you get the idea. also i hear a noise, 'grinding/grating' noise that coincides with the 'hang/catches'.

any ideas what it could be? something with intermediate shaft? steering box? bushings?

thanks

ChipsXJ said:
i recentlr bought an 88 xj 4wd with a broken steering column.

i replaced the steering column and the power steering pump. when i turn the steering wheel it starts out good. but after a revolution or so, it 'catches' or kinda 'hangs' then turns a revolution or so then 'catches' or 'hangs' again then is ok for a revolution or so then.....well you get the idea. also i hear a noise, 'grinding/grating' noise that coincides with the 'hang/catches'.

any ideas what it could be? something with intermediate shaft? steering box? bushings?

thanks

steering gear box is toast

used a hammer to drive the intermediate shaft further down onto the steering gear box. it was not far enough down the shaft of the gearbox and when i turned the wheel, the ujoint was binding.

is it not possible that during his column replacement he just pulled it out a bit?

Back