• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1" boost to leaf's

Big Al 331

NAXJA Forum User
What is the easiest way to add 1" to a leaf pack other than blocks?:rattle: :rattle:

KarmirXJ said:
wouldnt that give you 2" of lift? correct me if im wrong.

Nope.

Think of the spring as a lever. Move one end 2" while the other end remains fixed. Whatever is in the middle moves 1" (approximately).

I have two AAL's in the back. My 3" kit came with 2" AAL and 1" blocks. I decided to go with two AAL's instead of the blocks. It gave me an overall lift of about 3-3 1/2" lift in the back.

Makes it level with the front. I'm looking to add another couple of inches all around.

Are your AALs long or short? Or one of each on each side?

If they are short, I would not use extended shackles. The longer shackle will just add stress to the ends of the springs and probably result in them bending down toward the ends, beyond where the AALs give any reinforcement.

Two short on each side. One is about 1" longer than the other so it on top.

Those who made their own rear spring sets, do you use full length spring second from the top/main spring minus the eye or do yu cut them back the same length of second leaf in the OEM spring pack? I would think the full lenght will give more support to the mail leaf but ride quality and or flex may suffer. :dunno:

ouch, short AAL's bring the major suckage. I'd just pull them out and throw in a decent full length AAL's. A good full length should give you the lift you want too. Those shorties will make a nice paperweight. ;)

With two shorties in there, I'd be looking for something to help the main leaf. The Dakota spring pack looks good from here. Cut the eyes off the main leaf and plant it right under the XJ main leaf as a full-length AAL.

To answer Techno's question: The way I prefer to do it is get a donor pack that's the same as the XJ pack or longer. Cut the eyes off the main leaf of the donor pack and use that directly under the XJ main leaf. Ideally, it should extend as fas as it's possible for the two to have contact. Once the main leaf eye curves away from the AAL there's no need for more length -- except don't forget that when the suspension droops, the second leaf slides, so a half inch or so of extra length won't hurt anything and keeps the support under the main leaf even when drooped.

What are you guys calling "too short"?

Big Al 331 said:
Two short on each side. One is about 1" longer than the other so it on top.

I was mistaken all of my leafs go from shortest to longest--up. My shortest AAL is 18 1/2" from the rear eye(1/2 lenght AAL). The longest AAL is 11" from the rear eye(3/4 lenght AAL).:confused:

Eagle said:
With two shorties in there, I'd be looking for something to help the main leaf. The Dakota spring pack looks good from here. Cut the eyes off the main leaf and plant it right under the XJ main leaf as a full-length AAL.

To answer Techno's question: The way I prefer to do it is get a donor pack that's the same as the XJ pack or longer. Cut the eyes off the main leaf of the donor pack and use that directly under the XJ main leaf. Ideally, it should extend as fas as it's possible for the two to have contact. Once the main leaf eye curves away from the AAL there's no need for more length -- except don't forget that when the suspension droops, the second leaf slides, so a half inch or so of extra length won't hurt anything and keeps the support under the main leaf even when drooped.

Will this act as a AAL and give some lift?

Yes, it will be a full-length AAL.

As to what's "too short" -- IMHO any half-length AAL is too short. Puts a lot of stress at the quarter points of the springs, where the AALs end. Stress should ideally be distributed through the entire pack -- that's why the lengths are staggered. Just a couple of days ago someone else with a shortie AAL posted that his main leaf (leaves?) bent down at the ends because of the shorties.

I've used them in street machines when nothing else was available, but I would prefer not to.

Back