• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Rear Bumper Removal.

About a week ahead of time start spraying the 8 bolts that hold the bumper on with powerblaster.
step 1 remove the end caps. This also includes one bolt that attaches them to the rear fender flare... 1/4" socket set for this one.
step 2 cut the snot out of you hands removing the 8 bolts, they are inside the bumper, you might want to consider getting a box ratchet.
Remove bumper.
I did mine the easy way, drill 8 holes in the face of the bumper on my 98 [black], put a socket on each bolt and went in thru the holes with a socket extension, that was after 2 hours of cutting the snot out of my hands. Used plastic plugs to fill the holes if I ever needed it again but I gave it to a neighbor who needed a rear bumper.
Replaced stock bumper with tomken w/2" receiver hitch built in.
Reassemble in reverse order putting plenty of anti-seize on all bolts and nuts which is standard for ANY bolts and nuts you remove on a jeep...

WobblesXJ said:
mine fell off from rust.

I just found out mine is the same way, by standing on it! Time for the receiver bumper I guess.

On my '85 There that has a factory tow package with a Class 2 hitch assembly, there were two main brackets that attach to the rear main unibody, each bracket location has 4 bolts that thread directly into the unibody. Also there, were a few other bolts that ran across this rear lip of the unibody that needed removed. That's it.

bumper caps slide off easy enough

but be prepared to cuss a lot trying to take off the 4 15mm bolts that hold the actual bumper to the bracket............if they don't break off first

it took forever to get those 4 bolts off on my jeep, they were partially rusted on so they took a lot of elbow grease to get off and it was a pain in the ass turning a wrench in the bumper

now if you dont plan on reusing the bumper drill holes and use deep sockets like ^ said, if not definately use anti-seize

There are 4 bolts that hold the bumper to the bracket--2 on each side. All are 15mm in size. The ones on the bottom are easy to get to. The two (one on each side) that are inside the bumper are the difficult ones. The easiest way to remove them is to get a gear-wrench type of ratcheting box wrench. Like this:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...0&vertical=TOOL&pid=00942645000&bidsite=CRAFT
00942646000-dlv.jpg

Makes the job WAAAAY easier, and well worth the cost of the wrench.

1. PB Blaster for a week

2. Remove the end caps - 2 screws and they slide up and back

3. I removed the bumper from the bracket - one bolt (per side) on the bottom of the bumper and one bolt (per side) inside the bumper. I was able to reach the inside with a 3/8 rachet and short socket. I put a bar on the rachet so I didn't have to reach inside the bumper.

Special bolt type!!!
I have been in the fastener industry for the last 28 yrs.

While removing the bumper-bolts,I recognized the special "Tri-lobular" lock-thread as one from our company.

You may spray it down with PB Blaster and let it set for a half hour or so BUT starting to wet it down a week in advance will NOT help loosen it up-it will go on and come off with alot of torque no matter what-PB will help but only slightly.
Take a close look at the threads.you will see a spiral pattern.
Major dia. and pitch dia.have three high sides/hence "Tri-lobular"

Back