• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Filter adapter O rings!

Thanks, I checked at my NAPA today and they dont carry them (don't have a listing), so only one Jeep dealership here, 30 miles away.

Depending on the year of your XJ the O rings are different. YOu may want to do a search for O ring part numbers.

One of the things of "Chrysler" I learned in grad school is that any dealer can get parts for any corporate vehicle. So if you have a Chrysler or Dodge dealer closer go in and see what the parts guys can do for you.

Just a suggestion, they may be able to order them in. On my 88 XJ you have to buy the 3 parts seperate, I think on the HO engines they come in a kit with all 3 in the bag.

Also look on www.madxj.com under the tech section, he talks about converting to the larger oil filter, he has very good pictures and my list the o-ring part numbers.

Dealer is definitely the place to go; I got mine from the local Dodge dealer.

In madxj's write up about the O rings, he talks about putting the filter in the horizontal position rather than vertical. Is it possible to run the filter so the filter would be the opposite way that they are stock, so you could fill the filter with oil (like the older chevy engines) so that when you start the motor after changing the oil you don't have a couple seconds without oil pressure.
I know most people don't even think about that, but if the oil filter is completely full everytime you start the engine, it would have to extend the life of the engine. This is on a 92 XJ.
Just a thought.

Someone else that knows this part better than I do could probably chime in, but I seem to remember a small pin or very small tube that sticks out of the block. I dont know what its function was, but it prevented me from rotating the housing to only a few degrees. The instructions about the changeover had me cautions about breaking that tube off, as the author made reference that he (or maybe it was someone on here) had broken it and it was a MAJOR PITA to repair. I think the tube stuck into a little recessed area in the housing, basically restricting it to that one position....cant remember...been too long.

Since I needed the jeep right after the job, I didnt have time to explore how it was made or to make any modifications. The option I would rather have done is to braze a nut on that damn t-60 bolt that holds it all together. Whomever designed that needs a good thrashing.

All factory engineers should have to be a mechanic on the stuff they design for one year. I think some dumb designs would be changed in a hurry.

Yes, there is a small pin, above the hole where that hollow bolt goes in. I think its the oil pasage to you oil pressure sensor. The filter housing itself has a corresponding "notch on the side where it mates to the engine so the pin rests in there. Definetly don't brake it off.

I brazed a t-60 driver (with a hex head on it) onto the torx bolt, gerat idea.

Here's links to my pic:

When I changed my engine in my '91, we couldnt find the o-rings any where, so he went to a shop and bought some round 0-ring stock and we just made them. Has held for 4 yeas now with no problem. we also rotated the filter mount 90 degrees so it would be easier to change the oil. My bolt wasent a torx though, just a 15 mm hex. wierd.

Dave

langer1 said:
To bad you need to go to a Stealer to get o-rings, they cost .10 if you know the size.

Where I work they cost $0.99 each ring from the o-ring assortment bin with the larger sizes bieng a bit more.

Seriously, its a $10 item at the dealership, actually I think I paid something in the $8 dollar range. Its conveinently packaged for you and your only out a few bucks.

People that come in and want to bargain over $5 items piss me off. I run into people all the time that are willing to drive all over town to see if something costs $2.50 less at another store. I definetly understand wanting to research a decision that could save you at least $50, maybe $20 but when people ask me if I can knock $1 off thats irritating. That and people who inquire about the price of safety items (brakes, wiper blades) but pass them up to buy shiny neon accessories [/rant]

Back